EEG results say cortical irritability?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have my EEG results from a few weeks ago, and it says that it's a mildly abnormal EEG due to isolated sharps that develop during hyperventilation. I looked that up online and it has something to do with my breathing while I was sleeping. It was a sleep deprived EEG. The worst ones in my opinion lol. It said my heart rate while I was sleeping was 72 which apparently is below average. It said there is no evidence for seizure activity, and sharp waves may indicate cortical irritability.
So I'm really confused here. It says it was a mildly abnormal EEG, but there's no evidence of seizure activity. How can that be? Is it just possible that I have all the options of seizures that if the circumstances were right, I would have a seizure?
Has anyone heard these terms before? I have a doctor's appt this Friday, but it's driving me crazy not knowing what's really going on here.

It says it was a mildly abnormal EEG, but there's no evidence of seizure activity. How can that be?
It means that there was nothing in the EEG that is absolutely definitive for epilepsy. Many people without seizures (or any neurological issues) have mild abnormalities on their EEGs. And conditions other than epilepsy can produce "mildly abnormal" patterns. Many different types of disorders affecting the brain can give rise to the same type of EEG abnormality so that often only a very general comment can be made. Because EEGs aren't always clear-cut they need to be interpreted in conjunction with the actual symptoms you are experiencing.

So your EEG doesn't necessarily rule epilepsy in or out. It's possible that your doc will put your EEG together with your symptoms and say that epilepsy is still a likely diagnosis, or he may say that it's still an open question. Many CWE members who definitely have epilepsy have never produced abnormal EEGs, so it's not required for a positive epilepsy diagnosis.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and they put me back on medication:( I'm going to see an actual neurologist whenever the referral gets processed since I only saw my family doctor. She read my test, and did say that there was no seizure activity, but she thinks that my auras are partial seizures. So we're back on meds for now.

I hope the medication helps -- keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom