Effects of clomiphene on seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken clomiphene (clomid) and noticed a decrease in seizures? Its a drug generally given to women (and men) for infertility.

I've read how this drug can be both an estrogen agonist and antagonist. I believe it acts as an estrogen antagonist to the brain (thereby possibly being of benefit in seizure prevention), but that it leaves estrogen alone in the body, which can help with saving bone density (but elevated estrogen levels can cause other negative effects specifically in men).

I ask because as we know, AEDs can affect hormones in men and women causing all sorts of problems, and this drug has been suggested at times as a possible solution. (with regard to helping balance hormone ratios knocked out of whack by AEDs)

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with it that they may be willing to share.

Thanks.

D

bumping in case anyone has experience with this drug and E.

Back
Top Bottom