Elective surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
Has anyone here decided to have elective surgery and if so, did it affect seizures? It's not really elective, I have a very bad bunion and hammer toe and am having a hard time finding any shoes that are comfortable. I have 2 pair of work scandals and some hiking scandals that are pretty comfy but with coder weather I am having trouble finding dress shes for work.

I had neurosurgery on my back before anyone realized I was having seizures and they got somewhat worse after surgery but that was a very complicated surgery (16 hours).

I posted this in a FB group so if anyone sees it twice that is why.

Hi MAB,

Regarding your feet have you had them x-rayed as i have Bursitis which causes both these problems besides overlapping of the toes and also cracking of the toes, the arch and ankle....sorry i can't help regarding Elective surgery :)

yes, and I had the same surgery on the other foot 8 years ago but that was before I developed seizures and was supposed to have the surgery then as soon as the first foot healed but I didn't want to be out 6 months at the gym. 3 months was bad enough.

yes, and I had the same surgery on the other foot 8 years ago but that was before I developed seizures and was supposed to have the surgery then as soon as the first foot healed but I didn't want to be out 6 months at the gym. 3 months was bad enough.
Surgery's do hold you back and finding comfortable shoes is one hell of a nightmare, i know if a brand new pair hurt me although I've tried them on, that's it not another chance .lol

This shoe link covers bunions and hammer toes for all occasions.

http://www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/bunions-and-hammer-toes.php

I've had epilepsy for 11 years now. About 2 years ago I had screws put in my back. The dr told me several times that if I were to have a seizure while I was having the surgery that I'd probably be paralyzed but he said that it was very very rare that people had seizures under sedation. I didn't have any problems with it and I'm doing much better since I've had the surgery.

I'm not sure if this is the same sort of thing that you are talking about or not.

Not exactly Valerie. Just wondering if my partial seizures would increase or change after surgery from the lindacaine used during surgery and the stress of surgery It is under general anesthesia. Lindacaine is one of my triggers. I had surgery (16 hours) in 2010 before anyone realized I was having seizures and the seizures changed after surgery to include horrible phantom odors. Before that surgery they consisted of only a weakness/heavyness on the left side of my body and a sensation that I am to close to the edge of the left side of the bed (even if I was sleeping on the right side
of the bed).

Can you see if it's possible that they can use something other than Lindacaine for the surgery? Let them know this is all due to the fact that you have epilepsy and let them know what has happened before and it's because of the Lindacaine.

Stress is one of my major seizure triggers. Try not to get stressed out about the surgery if you do decide to have it. Easier said than done though I know. This is how I thought the whole time before my surgery. I knew that it was going to stop the extreme pain that I was currently having so it was going to be worth it. I think my family was more stressed out because of the surgery than I was!

Back
Top Bottom