empty stomach

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pete

New
Reaction score
I ve noticed that most of my sz's seem to happen on an empty stomach so is this due to a lack of glucose? Has anyone else noticed this too? Would eating sweets help?

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum. :hello:

It's really hard to say without knowing more about your situation. Are you diabetic? hypoglycemic?

Most of the "epilepsy diets" restrict consumption of sugars/simple carbohydrates, so I would think it would be better to eat a snack with protein and/or complex carbs rather than simple sugars.

I'm hypoglycemic and have had a seizure triggered by low blood sugar. If you suspect this is the case, try eating 5-6 small meals a day instead of the standard 3. And by small, I usually mean whatever will fit on a dessert plate.

:agree: with skillefer.
Dont gorge on sugar (you will unknowingly cause seizures when the "kick" wears off) but divide your meals into 5-6 smaller portions (less than a full meal). Don't wait till you're starving for you to eat.Check if you have diabetes.Check your blood sugar levels regularly.Hypoglycemia is an important trigger for seizures. Try to eat foods that do not have too high a glycemic index.
Cheers,
Arvind

I've found that an empty stomach does provoke a seizure. Usually I don't realize I hadn't eaten until after the seizure when I feel hungry so I try to get in the habit of eating on a regular schedule (though I'm not very successful)

Yup...I agree with the doc. Try to make sure that everytime you eat a carb, you also have a protein. It'll slow down the break down of the carb (potatoes, bread, rice) to sugar. Also, try switching to slower break down carbs like whole grain breads, and sweet potatoes. Hope this helps. :)

On a side note.. Ive noticed my kids rarely seem to get hungry. I have to remind them to eat. Once I put something in front of them, then they are hungry. I think its part of the E. Im trying : ) to teach them to watch a clock. That lunch is normally between 12 -2. IF they see its 1:30 and they havent eaten, even if they are not hungry, I'm trying to get them to eat something. Seems like the hungry switch turned off? lamictal? My daughter weight ok but my son, whose on meds longer, is WAY too thin.

joan*

Glucose changes has raised a few red flags for me as well.
It was suggested that I purchase a glucose meter and check Rebecca. I did one better than that... some magazines have ads for FREE meters. I have even found them online. So I filled one out. Didn't get it for the longest time, so I figured we had been declined. I never said Rebecca has diabetes or such.

Well wouldn't you know it... it showed up in the mail this week. I have yet to open up the box, but you bet I will very soon.

I think this was with a Walgreens Coupon... expires 3/31/09
It is a FreeWorld Kit and made by Abbot.
You might check it out and do a bit of testing on your own.

edit:
The Walgreen's coupon is for test strips
Here is a link:
https://www.freestylelite.com/frees...rAd11&utm_campaign=freestyleworld&code=hd74kd

Last edited:
On a side note.. Ive noticed my kids rarely seem to get hungry. I have to remind them to eat.
joan*

Recently I've been the same way. I may be a bit spaced out but don't feel the hunger until the afternoon or after a sz.

Geez, you'd think I'd be skinnier though.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom