Epilepsy and ADHD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son is having infrequent simple partial seizures. It's likely BRE, but we're not 100% sure due to some atypical features. It's still more likely than not BRE. Since the onset of the seizures and a little before them, we've been noticing more and more ADHD types of symptoms.....fidgetiness and daydreaming especially. He's not having absence seizures because he can be brought back around fairly easily.

We always attributed the ADHD symptoms to other things rather than the seizures.....his father and I can be kind of ADHD ourselves, they started in the spring when it was getting warmer and the school year was coming to an end, etc. We just attributed his behavior to other things instead of the seizures.

So now we're getting ready for a Dr checkup and I'm having mixed feelings. He's on no meds and I don't want to put him on any either. His seizures are fairly well controlled, with minor ones occuring infrequently. I can't see treating with seizure meds to control the behavioral side effects that are probably caused by the seizures. I also am very afraid of giving him ADHD meds for fear of spurring more frequent or severe seizures.

Does anyone else have experience with ADHD and epilepsy? What did you decide to do.

Any chance you could try neurofeedback? It has been used to treat attention disorders (as well as seizures), so it might be particularly helpful in your son's case.

Back
Top Bottom