epilepsy + ADHD = Lamictal + Neurofeedback ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

apchar

New
Reaction score
I suffered from partial seizures for 15 years before a neurologist put me on Lamictal (pricey but effective) and I've been seizure free for 3 years.
But I also have a very bad case of ADHD. I've had it since I was a kid but it's only gotten worse as I grow older (I'm 43 now.) The same neurologist tried Straterra but the side effects were intolerable and I had to quit after just a few days. We had the same result with Methylin. After these experiences I'm mighty reluctant to try any more drugs. I've moved away from my neurologist so I'm on my own. I thought I'd try neurofeedback with cyberlearnings smartbraingames home system. Any unsupervised therapy is risky but I have no licensed providers in my area. I wouldn't be using neurofeedback to control the seizures (Lamictal is working fine.) Their machine is not designed for that anyway. I'm sure the neurofeedback methodologies is very different for Epilepsy and ADHD treatment. I worry about reviving the seizures.

Has anyone heard of ADHD directed neurofeedback triggerring seizures?
Thanks.

Hi there,

I am on Lamictal as well..I wish I could answer your questions..but I can't. I will bet someone here may be able to help though. Everyone seems to know so much and have been really helpful to me! Best wishes!

Michelle

Hi apchar! Welcome to CWE! We're a pretty friendly crew, so feel free to chime in. :) As for your question on neurofeedback, I have no clue......the person on this site best able to address your question might be Robinn. She's done a lot of research about Neurofeedback. My hubby has ADHD. For him, a cup of coffee, no cream or sugar does the trick. Have you tried that?

My son is an epileptic with ADHD and we tried what you did. I am your age. What he is on now does not affect your seizures Tenex. It's very low grade and you can move up on it. It is also used for blood pressure. Check with your Dr. on this. I got off Lamictal. It caused more seizures in me.Myoclonic.Good luck.

Hi apchar, I think that the neurofeedback protocols for ADHD are complementary to the treatment of epilepsy/seizures. The idea is to normalize brain activity (reducing states of excitability or raising low states of arousal).

You might consider sending an email to the AAPB, ISNR or EEG Info folks to get a more authoritative answer though.

Back
Top Bottom