Epilepsy and the birth control pill

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Sorry if some of this is TMI...
My gyno recently put me on Loestrin (birth control pill) because of my painful periods, but it seems like my seizures have gotten worse. My seizures are catamenial which means I usually only get minor ones right before my period and in the middle of the month. But now I'm in my 3rd month of the pill and I'm having the simple-partial seizures more intense than I usually do, and waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more often. My cycle is still not normalized yet on the pill and I got my period 2 weeks early this time, but I didn't have many days in between where I wasn't seizing. And it ended 2 days ago but my seizures haven't diminished any. It this related to the birth control pill? Is it because of the hormones or does the pill make my seizure meds less effective (I know it's also the other way around)? I'm taking Tegretol, Keppra, and Lamictal.
Thanks!

If your b.c. pill contains estrogen, and if fluctuations in estrogen are a seizure trigger for you (which is usually the case with catamenial epilepsy), then yes, it could be responsible for the worsening of your seizures.

In addition, birth control pills can make Lamictal less effective, another potential reason for the uptick in seizure activity. Were your ob/gyn and neurologist on the same page with the Loestrin?

Thanks, Nakamova.
No, my gyno knows I have epilepsy, but he didn't consult my neurologist or mention that it might be a problem.
Grr. I'm just going to stop taking this pill. It's just given me trouble anyway even besides the seizures.

You might also consider taking a magnesium supplement -- it can help with nasty cramps...

I take Keppra XR 3000mgs a day, and was put on Loestrin In April 2012. Ive been on it since, and havnt had any issues with seizures, but everyone is different. I would for sure contact your neurologist and let them know whats going on. See what they have to say, and then get ahold of your gyno dr and tell them what your neuro had to say.

I was taking depo provara (the shot) and I didn't have any problems with it.

I started taking it before I had epilepsy because I had very iregular periods with very bad cramps. By taking the depo then I didn't have any periods at all.

After being diagnosed with epilepsy I kept taking it and everything is still ok. I was on it for about 8 years and had a hysteractmy a year ago.

I was told not to be on the pill by both my neuro, my primany and gyno, I am currently on the nueva ring and that has worked well for us with no difficulties with my medications. I am on topamax and keppra. So far seizure free for almost 9 months. Which is the longest I have been in 4 years. My seizures only pop up on my periods. I have finally got my meds right about 9 months ago to a theraputic level we think.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom