epilepsy in college

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Leanne.

Mu daughter is now a soph in HS and we are hoping against hope to get her into college. Have you or have you heard of people getting any help in admission as a result of being an E patient. I was thinking that with all the meds and stuff that maybe getting a B with Ep is equal to being an A student without it and the schools recognize that. True at all?

Phil

Probably not. Unless it is eating up a sufficiant amount of your income for her to qualify for need-based, government aid. Merit scholarships from her school, and outside scholarships from community organizations, churches, arts groups, former schools, etc. are the best way to go. There are several sites online that you can look for scholarships at.
Also, if she could turn her struggle with epilepsy into a killer essay, then it could maybe win her some money.

It's always worth a try. I would HIGHLY reccommend going to a private school, ESPECIALLY if you're having health issues, because the professors will be able to give you more one-on-one attention and the students will form more of a support network for you. People will know who you are and care about what happens to you, and the health office workers will notice if you don't order you medicine on time...
Usually, if you have a genuine problem with focusing/recall, you could get extra time on tests and such. That's what I've heard, at least.
At my school, there are people with all sorts of disabilities: blindness/mobility impairment/anxiety disorders, etc. The teachers are pretty understanding, but that doesn't mean that you can just coast.

What college do u go to?

I go to school in Indiana. Which is probably further from home than you would want to be (your thing says you're in Minnesota?) But there are hundreds of schools just like mine all over the country. Just look for something that has a good program in your major & a really friendly staff.

private schools could be good for that..they're definitely more expensive so going to a smaller university (not private) would be just as good. You get more one on one time with professors since there aren't as many students.

sometimes private schools can be expensive so i reccommend going to a smaller university. the professors can have more one on one interaction with students because there aren't as many of them.

My health forced me to drop out of high school and get a GED, which is one strick against me.

my seizures lead me to dropping out of school aswell, but i got my ged, went to "college" and everything is okay, as far as school went, so you will be okay dont worry.

Well, I've been out of college for a while, but I thought I'd chime in. :) I attended the University of Nebraska- Lincoln. I earned a bachelors as well as a master's degree there. So it is possible to go to college. :) As a high school special ed. teacher, who has a student that will be graduating this year with E and going on to college, I would suggest doing the following.

1. If you or your child has E, go see the people in the Disabled Student Services office. If you can, go and do an actual visit and talk to someone there. Face to face always beats e-mail. Ask your questions, and don't leave if the answers are weak or hard to understand.

2. If you/your child has an IEP or 504 plan, make sure that the case carrier fills out a Disability Verification Form. (that's what it's called here in California...) It's basically a form notifying the school that you want to enroll in what services would best help you be academically successful. Services like note taking, books on tape, assistance with writing assignments, extra time for assignments, etc.

3. If you/your student does NOT have a 504 plan or IEP, you might want to consider asking the DSS office if you/your student can get one in college/university. It can definitely be a help.

4. Be sensible about expectations. The first year is usually the hardest because the student is trying to figure out exactly where they fit and what to do...kinda like freshman year of high school without the comfort of consistency from mom and dad back home. This is also when you might find more breakthrough seizures as students try to cram for tests , experiment with alcohol and pot, and usually have horrible diets.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. My professors, even though I went to a large state university, were actually quite understanding if I had to tell them that the reason I had missed a class was due to a seizure. Most of the time, they won't ask, but there are certain days, like the first day of classes, where if you miss, you're dropped from the roster.

6. Make use of the med center , the rec center, and religious center/chapel. As a student, you'll have access to the med. center on campus. Have a copy of your medical records with you and take them into the med center so that they can have a copy. That way, if you do end up seeing a doc there, they'll have your history as well as the meds you are on. They get a COPY, not the originals. (Same for if you move after graduation to a new town. Take your med records with you. )
As for the rec center. Make good use of it. This will help stop the freshman pounds from packing on. the more you weigh, the higher the dosage is going to have to be for many E meds. Also, it's an excellent way to take care of stress.
Also, if you are religious, get involved with a group on campus that shares the same beliefs. It can help by acting as a support group and giving you yet another group of people that you can talk to when you're feeling stressed or homesick.

7. For those thinking of rushing frats/sororities. Cool! the greek system is fantastic for providing a supportive environment. Just make sure that the health aide for the house knows your medical condition and the meds your on. If they have to contact EMS because you are seizing or post ictal, they can inform the medics as to what meds you are on and the fact that your epileptic. Also, just because the rest of the brothers or sisters are getting tanked does NOT mean you have to drink. I was a little sister for triangle fraternity, and they, like most greek houses had non-alcoholic beverages available at their get togethers.

8. If you're staying in the dorms, make sure that the health tech/health aide for your floor or building knows your medical condition and what meds you take, as well as what one of your seizures looks like. I was a health aide for my dorm floor, and kept a list of student medical conditions as well as medications just in case of emergencies. And, as a health aide, I was pretty much on call 24 hours. So if kids got sick with a cold or needed a band aid, I had it for them. This also meant giving first aid or CPR if I was out and about on campus too. So when I visited my boyfriend in his dorm, I was still on call. This actually did end up happening too....A friend of my then boyfriend went to use the mens room. Another person came in a few minutes later and told us that the friend was passed out on the floor and shaking. My bf knew his friend wore a medic alert bracelet. The health aid for the floor was at class, which pretty much left just me to respond. I went in to the mens room, crawled under the stall and flipped the bracelet...sure enough, epilepsy. It was a grand mal. Had the guys call 911 since there were no instructions NOT to call, and styed with him till the EMT's showed up. Told one of the other guys to wait outside the dorm till the EMT's came.

9. For pete's sake, wear medical jewelry of some kind, and make sure that your buddies on the floor know about it. Also, if you don't want 911 called, make sure your roomie/best friends on the floor/health aide know that. Ambulances are expensive.

Hope this helped! :)

Last edited:
I cannot agree more with you. Those are all really important issues that my parents and I took into consideration. Due to having epilepsy, I have never been drunk, nor feel the desire to risk my health due to "fitting in."

I lived with 5 girls during college and each of them knew about my condition. They knew I couldn't drink and they respected that. However, I learned that if someone does not have a disorder where they can't drink, then they don't really understand what we are going through. I can't stress enough that it's ok to be at a party or hang out with friends without having that cup of beer in your hands. It's so not worth risking your health for.

Leanne,

I'm new to the forum. I have a daughter that is 16 well almost 17. she will be a senior next yr and has plans to go to college "BUT" like most peole with E her memory especially short term is shot. In HS she has an IEP with accomadations for notes and home work (the good thing is wife is a special ed teacher) but what kinds of accomadations can she get while in college? Do they HAVE to give them to her or is it just a if they fell like it? the other down part is that she'll have to go to a small community college to bring her GPA up to even get into college (went from straight A's to low C's in 4 years) thanks for any and all help.

scott & kellie

If she has an IEP in college..whether junior college or not...they HAVE to provide the accomodations. It's either that, or violate her ADA rights. Also, don't feel bad about her going to Jr. College...it provides her with more support, smaller classes, and the ability to get used to the collgiate life and the different expectations. Let's face it, college classes are different from high school. If anything, you might ask teh DSS center if your daughter could shadow a current student so that she can see what the classes are like.

Back
Top Bottom