Epilepsy and Disability

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There is no doubt Epilepsy is a very debilitating and disabling in so many ways and yet we decide to take words and dissect them leaving ourselves open to ridicule from each other or we decide to justify ourselves to each other while we scoff at each other or decide “you are wrong and I am right”. In doing this we leave ourselves open to criticism from those who do not understand. The trouble with this is there is no “right or wrong” within ourselves, we do not need to justify ourselves to each other or create arguments, each and everyone is different, we are destroyed in different ways and by different things. The effect of the medication on each one of us cannot be measured and what it does to you it may not do to me, that does not mean I should disrespect you, it does not mean that I am right, it just means I am different to you. The secondary causes if you like which can result from anti epileptic drugs is so different and puts a mental strain on one that each of us deal with it differently, if we are honest with each other we understand this and at some stage have had to travel this road, we all have survived in our own way, whether its needing different drugs or mental ability or in my case pure luck to cope with any given situation. To discuss something is good and different points of view on that subject are important and interesting, I think we can all see how much of a disability epilepsy has become in our lives and in doing that become a disability.

I find that as I get older I take this more personal and yet I have a fear where others have a strength of belief. I have no right to say you are wrong and I am right, you are very right in what you say because this is how you are affected not me so I have no right. The only right I have is in saying what I think it has done to me or in trying to explain the way “the so called normal person” has portrayed things to me, not to decide if “you are wrong”. Is epilepsy a disability, Yes. Does this mean you are entitled to benefits, from my point of view yes.
For this I say SORRY.

resaebiunne

It is good that the medication prevents you from having seizures, few of us are lucky to have control of our seizures and yet you say you are having anything from "2 to a dozen seizures a day". Correct all of these scenarios can put you at risk, you realise the risks yourself, so the medication does not decide your safety as you said "have to rely on medication for my safety".

Having a seizure can be irritating no matter the type.

I never said that the medication I am on is controlling my seizures. It may be preventing the generalized seizures that I started having, but it has not had any effect on my focal seizures. That concerns me greatly, because it may just mean that I've simply not had any generalized seizures for other reasons, and the medication is doing nothing. I can't be sure.

I maintain that epilepsy medication is necessary for ones safety and the safety of others. It is one reason why doctors prescribe medication among other reasons such as quality of life. When you can have a seizure without warning, you cannot just assume that you should not put yourself in a risky situation to avoid danger; I already said that is impossible. Danger lurks everywhere. Case in point: I spent 4 days in the hospital and had surgery on my shoulder for a seizure I had in my own apartment (my home). Presumably I broke my shoulder from falling when I had the seizure. You are simply not going to convince me that epilepsy drugs aren't important for ones safety when you can get so seriously hurt just by standing up on two feet. I'm not going to "realize" the risk of standing up and walking around, that's preposterous. Now imagine how hurt I could've been had I had that same seizure while driving. I could've killed not just myself but other innocent drivers. There are plenty of people with E who can drive because their medication controls their seizures adequately enough. Without medication, they would not be able to drive.

You're wrong. End of story.

Last edited:
resaebiunne

I am not going or even trying to convince you of something or anything but saying

I never said that the medication I am on is controlling my seizures.

and then saying

I rely on medication to prevent me from having seizures.

is saying your seizures are controlled by medication unless you meant to infer different, in which case you have wrote a misleading statement. As regards your seizures which this thread is not about, if as you say "and the medication is doing nothing. I can't be sure." you need to see your neurologist.

Epilepsy medication is prescribed to control or help control seizures and it was thought "give quality of life" which I suppose in away it can and does.

When you can have a seizure without warning, you cannot just assume that you should not put yourself in a risky situation to avoid danger;

Would you not prefer to avoid danger and be safe. Oh it is impossible to avoid danger so if a tree is falling you will stand under it not avoid it? I never said danger did not lurk everywhere nor would I try to say that. Case in point.

when you can get so seriously hurt. You are simply not going to convince me that epilepsy drugs aren't important for ones safety when you can get so seriously hurt just by standing up on two feet. I'm not going to "realize" the risk of standing up and walking around, that's preposterous.

It is preposterous to think you are afraid to stand on your one two feet or to even suggest there is a risk standing up. I am not trying to convince you of anything. Nor do I want too.

I have had epilepsy since I was a baby and I can drive? I do not have full control of my seizures? I also worked and I got married.

I am not trying to convince you of anything, end of story.

I never said that the medication I am on is controlling my seizures. It may be preventing the generalized seizures that I started having, but it has not had any effect on my focal seizures. That concerns me greatly, because it may just mean that I've simply not had any generalized seizures for other reasons, and the medication is doing nothing. I can't be sure.

I maintain that epilepsy medication is necessary for ones safety and the safety of others. It is one reason why doctors prescribe medication among other reasons such as quality of life. When you can have a seizure without warning, you cannot just assume that you should not put yourself in a risky situation to avoid danger; I already said that is impossible. Danger lurks everywhere. Case in point: I spent 4 days in the hospital and had surgery on my shoulder for a seizure I had in my own apartment (my home). Presumably I broke my shoulder from falling when I had the seizure. You are simply not going to convince me that epilepsy drugs aren't important for ones safety when you can get so seriously hurt just by standing up on two feet. I'm not going to "realize" the risk of standing up and walking around, that's preposterous. Now imagine how hurt I could've been had I had that same seizure while driving. I could've killed not just myself but other innocent drivers. There are plenty of people with E who can drive because their medication controls their seizures adequately enough. Without medication, they would not be able to drive.

You're wrong. End of story.
I would luv to know it's like to be controlled, for just 6 months.
I've never driven worked very few jobs because the stress brings on sz's and I can't handle it.I draw SSDI Yes people get SSDI who shouldn't get it.
Belinda

Last edited:
You are American..yes all those things make life disabling.Unfortunatly I seen many people take piss out of system e is an abused condition which makes life unfair for rest of us..Of course if had give up job driving need extra financial help to get you into work place you well entitled to it.you don't cut of nose spite your face..I got disability travel card enable me free travel my reasoning if I not allowed to drive then got to take advantage of help you can get.but I think e got effect you that normal life on daily or weekly basis stops you living normal life obviously system is for vulnerable or safety net.Unfotunarly people use disability as chosen life style just get money.For many people with e may had only one or to e episodes in life and thirty years down the line still claiming money. And yes I have seen it done many times it as I said an abused condition.A fact you can look healthy and are healthy but life can be intorable people don't understand...I also think people who have migraines once a month or more defiantly disabled but society would not see it that way.i have e and it can be bad but I would say it migraine that disables me.Looks can be deceptive..For some e just may show on eeg and that all no problems an then yippi that gives me right to stop work and claim well it do not they the people who make it bad for rest of us.
Disability strange thing I able walk about do everyday things then you get someone who had legs blown off in wheel chair but they could run wheel London marathon I could not it kill me

Waiter oh waiterr !?
would you be so kind as to bring some ice water to our table ?
it seems that the show is getting alittle warm...
Welll this is the last time i ask for front row seats...:pop::soap::hj::cop::razz2::razz2::razz2:

*tap tap tap tap tap* "I am your Grover your waiter.". "*CHARLIE!!! Put another one on and burn it!"

If somebody can post a picture of Grover and the soup here please do, my cell phone is confounding me.

Last edited:
mmm .how to insert images. can or cannot....but i did find Grover. Google images is cool

resaebiunne

I am not going or even trying to convince you of something or anything but saying

and then saying

is saying your seizures are controlled by medication unless you meant to infer different, in which case you have wrote a misleading statement.
The statement was not misleading, you misinterpreted it.
As regards your seizures which this thread is not about, if as you say "and the medication is doing nothing. I can't be sure." you need to see your neurologist.
Thanks for that wonderful flash of insight. Really.

Would you not prefer to avoid danger and be safe. Oh it is impossible to avoid danger so if a tree is falling you will stand under it not avoid it? I never said danger did not lurk everywhere nor would I try to say that. Case in point.
My point is that when you have epilepsy, you can be aware of a tree that is about to fall and not be able to move to avoid it. Case in point, I'm constantly aware that I could have a seizure at any time, without warning. There is nothing I can do to prevent a seizure that is already happening except take my medication and perhaps hope that diet changes and supplements might have some positive effect (so far they have not).

It is preposterous to think you are afraid to stand on your one two feet or to even suggest there is a risk standing up. I am not trying to convince you of anything. Nor do I want too.
Great.

I have had epilepsy since I was a baby and I can drive? I do not have full control of my seizures? I also worked and I got married.
Good for you. I work full time as an engineer and I have a Master's degree in electrical engineering. I make more money doing my job on a daily basis that about 75% of this country. That's a scary economics statistic for you. Back to my point, yes, if you found medication that could control your seizures, you too could drive. Or you could drive against medical advice, illegal though it might be. It's a choice you make. I drove for many years while having focal seizures on a daily basis. At one point a neurologist thought it would be better for me to have a normal life than it would to take epilepsy medication that did not function 100% and had side effects. As a result, I (unsurprisingly) drove for 10 years before I had my recent tonic clonic seizures in July. Completely unexpected.

I am not trying to convince you of anything, end of story.
I don't think so. You said so the medication does not decide your safety as you said "have to rely on medication for my safety". Sure sounds like a an argument to me.

resaebiunne

What it sounds like to you and what you think are totally different to what you have been told.

I don't know what you mean I was refering to an earlier post.One who referred to being disabled.It is grey area some use it as excuse some don't.my life ok apart no driving there no reason why majority of people can't lead normal life most of us do these days

resaebiunne

What it sounds like to you and what you think are totally different to what you have been told.

Not true either. I don't know where you are getting these ideas from. :ponder: Like you have any idea what any of my doctors have ever told me (unless, somehow, you're my mother, but I doubt this very highly).

Last edited:
This can be quite an emotional topic, please remember to be mindful of other members who may have differing opinions. Sometimes it's best to just agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom