Epilepsy and employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
Hi board,

Did you know that it is a proven fact that epilectics are generally better employees? So employers should be more than willing to hire an epileptic. (unless it's really severe)
They have better attendance because they think they're being watched by their superiors who are expecting them to take lots of sick days.

They work harder and have a better production rate for the same reason. Everyone is just waiting for you to screw up.
But they're still outcasts, Everbody thinks the're different but actually they're more compssionate.

We have to continue to do more to educate the public about epilepsy or seizure conditions because we're still viewed as outcasts or bad people (possessed by satin).

The general public are basically SCARED of us, if we have a seizure in front of them, they will be embarrassed and won't know what to do.

BTW ~ I don't consider myself an "Epilectic" Rather, a person with a seizure condition b/c there still seems to be a bit of a stigma around the term "Epilepsy" and ppl treat you differently.

Randy (Ontario, Canada)

Personally I think we're better employees because our brains go faster than the norm. My head is always going and I need constant mental stimulation as I can't deal with boredom. I assumed it's just the E brain and because of it we seek mental challenges, or at least I do, and because of that we're better at work for it.

I wouldn't say that most people view people with epilepsy as outcasts or possessed or whatever, just that they don't really understand. I managed to scare the life out of my brother by having a seizure early yesterday morning, and he said that when it happened in a nightclub in town, the whole place stopped to stare. :paperbag:

I handed my boss a couple of leaflets and highlighted the bits that are relevant to me (seizure types, memory issues etc). We have epilepsy training at work because two out of our three clients (work with adults with learning disabilities) have epilepsy, but it's extremely basic training. Plus, only one of them is not fully controlled - she has the odd absence and nocturnal tc.

I'm hoping she's read them, but she's the kind of boss that assumes she already knows everything. I'll have to ask her. :soap:

I know what you mean though - people do tend to treat us differently sometimes, but i guess it's the same with anyone who's a little different.

I really didn't want to go to work last night after my seizure, but i didn't want them to think that it's affecting my work, so i went in, which i suppose is exactly your point lol! :noevil:

BTW ~ I don't consider myself an "Epilectic" Rather, a person with a seizure condition b/c there still seems to be a bit of a stigma around the term "Epilepsy" and ppl treat you differently.

I'm glad you mentioned this again because several on this board have discussed this before. I don't consider myself an "Epileptic" either. I am a person who happens to have a epilepsy or a seizure disorder.

BTW, my seizures are difficult to control, therefore I haven't been able to hold a job for years, but I definitely would rather have had a full time career like I had planned years ago rather than this ugly disorder! :bigmouth:

It's definitely better to define oneself as a person with Epilepsy rather than an Epileptic. We're not Epileptic as we're not cancer, bipolar, a cold, etc. We tend to talk in the "I" which is the ego and subconconsciously our mind hears "I'm an Epileptic" and this is not so good for our mental well being as far as confidence, self esteem, feeling different or simply feeling sad. We should not define ourself as a disease since then it's like allowing the disease to control us, including our emotions. I know if I say, "I'm epileptic" it immediately makes me feel bad or even sad, but if I say, "I have Epilepsy" it's not as bothersome on me mentally.

Hello. I'm new to forums, so let me know if this doesn't look right. Your message caught my attention since I too have both epilepsy and colitis. My main issue with the epilepsy is employment. I'm a certified Math teacher, with more than 2 years experience. I am on disability, which fortunatally covers about 80% of Med. costs. If I were to resume work, the disabilty benifits would disappear, and I would have to pray that I find some other full time job fast. Most of my seizures are between 5 and 30 minutes. Therefore many days are spent feeling like I went to college for nothing.

I am realizing more and more that people are very uncomfortable about this disease. We have the everyday challanges but most people try to live their life as normal people. I run my own company, been doing this for over seven years and yes its very hard, mainly because of people. I hired an adminstrative assistant that had depression, marital issues, anxiety and once I told her that I suffer from seizures she quit! Funny. I am amazed that she could not handle my medical issues yet her issues stopped her from doing her job! I pray that people think before they open their mouth and treat this disease as any other one.

Chris

tab -
you could always work at liveperson.com and tutor others who are looking to learn from the same field that you teach in. all you need is an internet connection and you can work from home. There are always options!

Back
Top Bottom