Epilepsy and general anaesthetic?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hi, hope you are all well, as many of you know i am obviously epileptic an taking 500mg of keppra twice a day, i am due to have minor surgery in about two weeks time (grommets), i have had grommets before when i was around 7/8 but i was not sufferering with epilepsy at that stage in my life, im just looking for a bit of advice about what to expect really, will the anaesthetic effect my epilepsy during or after surgery, for obvious reasons i have already arranged for my daughter to stay out the night of the surgery, it was a 'day case' when i first had grommets done but will this be that case this time? quite nervous and not sure what to expect just yet, also havent had me pre-op yet (its next week) so appologies for firring questions out like theres no tomorrow lol. for those who dont know i was only diagnosed and started medication after the birth of my daughter nearly 3 years ago so i have had nothing like this before while diagnosed as epileptic, Thanks in advance xxx

Hi lucycherish

I've twice had minor surgery with general anesthesia. I didn't have any problems. My surgeries were in the morning, and I was told not to eat or drink anything starting the evening before -- with the exception of my regular morning dose of anti-seizure meds, downed with water. If you have any worries you might want to chat with your neurologist and your surgeon.

Hope the surgery goes well.

Hi,
Ive had three operations since i was diagnosed with epilepsy.The first one to get my tonsills removed,then stich a cut tendon in my hand and the last been the removal off an ingrowing hair.Each time i was put under and epilepsy wise suffered no ill effects.
I can mind been very groggy as i came round,but took my aeds as normal before and after.

The surgeon should come round and speak to you while you are still in the ward,i would imagine their will be others waiting for ops there too,(there were in my cases) Tell him then you have epilepsy,but im sure he all ready knows as your notes will have been sent up to the hospital,but still tell him anyway and make sure he knows your medications and amounts,when and what time you are taking them.You should be well looked after,as i said i never had any problems,so dont worry and good luck.

ps-Is stress a trigger for you,if it is it would be a good idea to make an appointment with your gp as soon as possible and discuss this with him.Good Luck Again!

Thank you both, yes stress, lack of sleep an all that jazz effect my epilepsy, i am trying to make an appointment with my GP at the minute so they can confirm my medication for the pre-op and surgeon but getting an appointment is like waiting to see the real santa ha!! i have an appointment with my neurologist on the 11th of november anyway soi could just take the medications form to him but they want all meds within the last three months which includes antibiotics an all sorts, pre-op is set for the 8th and the op is set for 15th, no rest for the wicked hey what did i do wrong in a previous life haha! Yeh the surgeon did come and talk to me last time from what i can remember, just trying to get myself sorted health-wise and in other ways as we also have a lovely notice to leave our current property by december the 2nd, so im with standing stress at the minute without any adverse effects other than the odd head ache, so with any luck this should all be ok right? Thanks for the advice, and sorry for one hell of a reply lol xx

I have had numerous surgeries, both minor and major, since I was dxed with epilepsy 40 years ago and to my knowledge had no problem with the general anesthetic. I have always made sure the anesthesiologist was aware (even though I know it is on the chart) during the preop meeting. Best to you

Mary

I had several surgeries, no problem with the anesthetic, I was just kind out of it the rest of the day. I hope you will have someone with you for the rest of that day.

I've been put under a good many times and have never had problems. I'm being put under on Thursday to have injections in my back and I'm not expecting to have any problems.

As Nakamova said, just do what the drs say to do before you have your surgery. It was ok for me to take my meds with some water but not to eat or drink a lot. Check with your dr and find out what it's ok and not ok to do.

Ive had numberous surgeries myself, and havnt had any issues with anesthetic. I was taking two anti seizure medications during that time period, Keppra and Carbatrol.

My daughter is scheduled to have her wisdom teeth out at the end of the month and she will be put under. I asked for a list of the medications the oral surgeon will be using as well as the pain killers for the days after. I had the neurologist review them as well as the pharmacist. Good thing - she cannot take tramadol for pain relief - I was told it can affect her negatively.

Our Jonathan has had general anesthesia for several procedures -- never any problem except one time he had a tonic-clonic seizure as he was going under, but the anesthesiologist was on the alert, and everything went ok. You probably do want to make sure you have an anesthesiologist rather than an anesthetist for your procedure.

thank you all for your replies, i am going to discuss this with neurologist, GP (not sure why as they dont do much but have to fill form of medications in for me, and at preop i will make it very clear to them because it wont be on my previous ENT records as i wasnt diagnosed when i had my last op, i actually cant wait to get it done to be honest suffered with really bad ears for over 12months now with nothing working for them so will probably be more relaxed afterwards which is only gunna be good x

Back
Top Bottom