Epilepsy and general anaesthetic and a slight rant

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cherriuz

New
Reaction score
Firstly ill get to the point and then people don't have to read my rant if they dont want to:
Im to undergo minor surgery and general anaesthetic im just wondering if anyone had ever had any problems due to epilepsy? The reason I ask is that the lead consultant wanted to make it an overnight case due to possible complications but after some gentle persuasion from a medical professional friend has made it a day case but they will keep me if any problems. What kind of problems could arise due to epilepsy? Aside from the obvious.

Now for the rant:
His minion as I shall refer to him as. You know the people under them who share their workload knew so little about epilepsy and general anaesthetic that he told me he wanted to keep me awake as there is less risk with a local...to which I got a phone call from the reception later that day saying the lead consultant wanted to see me personally. Confused. I went back. Oh he was not a happy man with his minion. He said what he read wasnt making any sense and everything seemed wrong. Firstly he was totally wrong with keeping me awake apparently and I need to be put to sleep for it. Secondly I had stated that the pain from said problem is keeping me awake so im losing sleep which had landed me in hospital just 2 days before I saw his minion and he put it as none urgent with a 10 week wait.
The consultant couldn't get his head round this and quickly swapped it to urgent with a 2 week wait.
Also he stated he was very angry with how it was handled and he would be having words.
Which left me thinking...how can drs be allowed to make them choices when they are so uniformed. I mean I was lucky. It got picked up on. But how many drs out there making them choices mess up? It just shows how ill informed drs are of the condition.
There thats the rant over
If you made it this far well done :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've had two day surgeries under general anesthesia without any problems. I was asked not to eat or drink anything starting the night before, but the surgeon said it was okay to take my meds and drink water with them if that was my normal routine.

As for getting bad advice from the minion doctor -- I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. There's a lot of arrogance, incompetence, and indifference in medicine. Some docs are too hurried or too apathetic to research something they are unfamiliar with.

Cherriuz

Try not to worry so much, things can happen it could be anything like getting an infection after the operation, but the fact you have epilepsy can work in your favor. The team including the surgeon tend to be extra careful. As for the minion you are not on your own, I had that with my last MRI again and the shock nearly killed me. Do not ask me why doctors know so little or do not try informing them self's about epilepsy, its the person with the epilepsy who usualy knows more.

Thank you for the fast replies. Hopefully the wait wont be too long because im really getting worked up over the idea of feeling myself lose control of my body and im worried ill kick off!

Im pleased to hear you had no problems. Thats put my mind at ease about that. Ive seen far too much of hospitals lately between myself and visiting friends I want to be in and out as fast as possible!

I couldn't believe that he had managed to get it so wrong. I mean even the basics would be nice - put epileptic patient's to sleep at the very very least would be good to know and benefit everyone involved!

They gave me grief when I had a dental thingie done a bit back, they had to consult some people and had consult some people and had me come back to do it,
dude treated it as it was his opus

I had a seizure a day or two after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Crazy stuff that anesthetic. It could have been a combo of that and dehydration that triggered an event for me, but I really felt it was the anesthetic that was the main source.

Good luck with what's up.

Chris.

I had several surgeries with anesthetic, I didn't have any problems. I told them to give something for nausea --- after that 1st time.

Good Luck.

Thanks folks :)
I have no intention of eating anything at all the day before. Was sick all over myself in majors last week because I couldnt move. Not risking something like tat again

Back
Top Bottom