Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova -

Well the jury is still out if Lamictal will work for me anyway. I had an allergic reaction (rash) when taking Tegretol and the doctor told me to be this could happen with the Lamictal as well.

He is starting me low and we see how it goes.

Weaning me off 3 other medications so I am kind of anxious too. Would be nice to be on just 1 medication!

Wonder why he sendin me to dermatoligist if its my hair hmmm. Im taking vitamins there not working for me but ya never know they mite with you. All you can do is try. Let me know how ya get on.

crazychick -

Well my only suggestion is keep taking your meds, vitamins, and see what the dermatologist says.

I am just going to start saving my money and buy a wig. Never liked my hair anyway.

Let us know what the doctor says!

Reece -

Wonder why he sendin me to dermatoligist if its my hair hmmm. Im taking vitamins there not working for me but ya never know they mite with you. All you can do is try. Let me know how ya get on.

Actually, hair & nails fall under the study of dermatology

Dermatology is the branch of medicine dealing with the skin and its diseases,[1] a unique specialty with both medical and surgical aspects.[2][3][4] A dermatologist takes care of diseases, in the widest sense, and some cosmetic problems of the skin, scalp, hair, and nails.[3]

Thanx reece i will di. I do not want a wig like. No thanx lol. It gets me so down seeing all my hair fall ouy. I wanna try diff meds if it dont work. Thanx epileric i didnt know that.

I have no doubt that it's extremely stressful.

I'd be very curious though to see what the dermatologist says. They are more likely to be familiar with what is causing all this & know what to do about it.

I'm on Lamictal (400mg) and Keppra (1000mg so far - ramping up). I had hair loss from the Lamictal but it's evened out now after about a year of being on it. My hair is thinned out some but no bald spots. Look to see if tiny hairs are replacing the ones that fall out. Then keep your hair layered and maybe shorter than it currently is. That's helped me. It is no longer falling out :)

I've so far had hardly any other side effects from Keppra or Lamictal. I'm amazed at all I read about the side effects many have experienced on these drugs.

HOWEVER, I'm an AVID fan and researcher of vitamins, minerals, etc., and keep my hormones in check due to thyroid and female issues.

I take a multivitamin/mineral, extra D3, extra cal/mag, biotin (only helps hair/skin quality, really, but nice), K2 (due to deficiency), extra Vitamin C, B-complex, extra zinc, extra folic acid (depleted by Lamictal).

I "group" these according to what is absorbed best together, and time them according to what will interfere with what drug. Anyway, maybe this has helped with side effects, or perhaps it's the hormones that have helped. I have no Keppra mood, anger issues. Slightly more tired than usual. The Lamictal caused slightly more bruising until I took K2 with it. Together my seizures are about 60% controlled. Keppra is working so I'm ramping up. Guess I'll find out if i'll get any of these side effects!

Hope the hair loss stops for everyone.

Yes if you take biotin you also need another supplement to help compliment what you are taking and to help you to absorb it.. think of the things that hair needs.. it needs proteins, amino acids, keratin..

and dying your hair will fatten up the hair shaft because the color molecules will deposit into the shaft and thicken it up.

You can also use a protein and keratin treatment to do the same thing without coloring... but if you do a protein or keratin treatment, don't do them more than once a week. protein and keratin masques for your hair also deposit protein into the shaft allowing your hair to strengthen and re-build itself..but after doing a masque, you absolutely must follow up with a moisturizing conditioner [without keratin] so that your hair does not dry out. it will loose luster if you don't add moisture, but when you add the moisture it leaves hair so silky and soft, even if you've done harsh chemical treatments.

and seriously consider getting a wig to wear, but make it human hair. the more you keep your hair tied up and out of the way the less you will fuss with it, brush it and pull it out and loose it. think of it this way, your wig will be protecting the hair that you have AND you'll always have a GOOD hair day!!!! You can get a shorter style, they are easier to maintain and look the most natural if they are a lighter color.

Wigs arent just for cancer patients, and you aren't giving up on your hair if you wear one. Think of your wig as your best fashion accessory, your greatest weapon, your holy grail of great looking locks. Nowadays they are well-made depending on the source, and they come in many varieties and styles..including lace front wigs which look so natural, only you know that your'e wearing one.

If you want to look absolutely ravishing, go for it. No one will know except for you, and you'll look stunning. people will WANT your hair because it will look so good. just make sure that it's quality, and if you want any more advice on wearing one or choosing one just let me know.

I wear them on occasion so that i can go out on the town and look great and feel great too. it allows me to change up my style quickly without cutting or damaging my hair, and when its fastened and fitted, it flows so naturally and looks great

Tv stars wear them all the time, all the time..so their hairstyle stays consistent and so they have beautiful and luxurious hair. Reality tv stars wear them, anchors and hosts wear them. They make it a part of their *trademark* look. Dont think that its an embarrassment to wear one. if anything, hair should be an beautiful and complimentary accessory and for a woman, its the finishing touch, so don't abandon this idea until you research it!!

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. and while your hair is tucked away it will have less stress on it, and you will be protecting it and allowing it to re-grow.

Also the more you wear your wig the less you will have to shampoo your hair. if you are loosing that much hair i would definitely recommend a DRY shampoo which is less damaging, and a wide tooth comb so you don't pull your hair out like you could with a brush. and don't ever brush while wet - thats when hair is at it's weakest point. :pop:

And invest in a silk pillowcase. This will keep your hair from tangling and whenever your hair is tangled, and you brush or comb it and you hear that ripping sound - thats you ripping your hair apart, which causes split ends, which split the hair shaft at the bottom and it will keep splitting all the way to the root if you don't trim it.

and there is the belief that regular trims actually help the hair to grow - but of course that's not true. what it does do is it keeps those split ends in check, so you have less breakage and more manageability, and the more manageability that you lend to your hair, the less it is likely to break and the better chance it has to grow and fill in the way that it should.

There are also prescription eyelash growers like Lilash and the lash product that model sells [whats her name? my e makes me forget names!] LATISSE
That stuff is pricey, but gosh darn it works and you can read the reviews on it, at makeupalley.com.. I wouldn't invest in any OTC lash growers since they aren't approved by the FDA and they only promise what the actual prescription products really deliver.

Take good care of yourself, you deserve it!!

Last edited:
thanks i have tried biotin and im taking loads of b vitamins but its making no difference, i dont want a wig i want my hair.

I know hon..
I know this sounds odd...

But I want you to research your condition really well. get a note pad and write down the facts about the type of E that you have. Then research the type of medication you are on, and also medications that are the equivalent, or better. You need something that will do the job for you but not wreck your body. And then you need to go to a place where they will write you a scrip for it.

What you are experiencing seems to be a manifestation of a larger problem. these symptoms are more than just cosmetic.

Find that new drug that is comparable. get on it by any means possible. and leave this one in the dust. its messing with your body and your mind. I wouldn't want to see you like this and neither do you, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Blueskies i dont even know if i have epilepsy hun as i havent actualy had a diagnois. I jus got.told your havin seizures take these meds. I dont know where to start for the medication. My neuroligist didnt sit down and tell me anything basically handed me th keppra and told me to take em. I dont even know what type of seizures i am javin all i know is i had them in my sleep and th meds are having so many side affects.

5. Hair loss. Throughout history, a woman’s hair has been connected to youth and beauty. When it starts to thin, it can be absolutely devastating for some women. Our hormones are intimately connected to our hair and sometimes an imbalance between estrogen and testosterone can appear, which causes thinning hair. Many women only start to notice this during menopause or perimenopause. Certainly rebalancing your hormones can help, but what can you do in the meantime?

Relief Tip: Try this triple formula. I use this combination formula for my patients at the clinic, and have them take the time to really massage it in and relax the scalp. They report it works wonders!

Zoma Shampoo, by Dermatologic Cosmetic laboratories
Age Intervention Hair Revitalizing Conditioner, by Jan Marini
Elon Matrix 5000 Vitamin (Biotin) for Hair

Vitamins are very important for healthy hair growth. Be sure you’re getting vitamins B, C, D, and E, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc, iron, and fish oil with essential fatty acids.

http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/relieftips-topmenopausalsymptoms.aspx?#hairloss

One thing Ive noticed frequent hair washing makes my hair look thinner so I am now down to washing my hair twice a week. Also I found most conditioners make my hair look thinner. Biotin? Never worked for me .

I did change the haircolor products , I used to used Clairol Or Loreal. Last week I brought some FREIDA haircolor at target in Dark Brown Red and I am telling it actually made ,my hair look thicker and that has been the only thing that has worked so far.

I remember that both times I was pregnant my hair looked noticeably thicker and my nails were growing like crazy and my skin actually glowed in the dark.:angel:

Last edited:
I was told by the pharmisist biotin is not good for your hair.my doc is trying me on the pill to see if that works until i get to see my neuroligist. Yes robin im making sure i am geting all of them. I dont dye my hair i dont lije to.

Crazychick It still sounds to me like you need a more definite diagnosis as to whether you actually have seizures . and if you do what kind. Have they done complete blood checks on you? If this Doctor is not giving you the answers than you should see a different one. Start asking around ...look online line. I think there is a website called rateyourdoctor. I've gone on there to read reviews on various doctors.
I just got my keppra moved down from 1500 to 1000 and I don't see yet a difference in my hair. I understand you don't want to dye your hair. I was desperate i I just dye it the same color as my natural color and it just makes it look thicker for a few weeks that's all. But it's a PITA to keep up with the coloring every 5 weeks.

I tried everything on the market.......nothing worked even used the health food products and they seemed to make my hair look even thinner. But you may have to hang it out for a while go to the Neuro and even maybe the Gynecologist possibly and work on these issues. I have found my Gynecologist very helpful and kind with women there have been times I have had problems other Doctors couldn't fix and if he couldn't fix it he referred me to a Doctor he thought could fix the problem.

I still take the B Complex 100s but that really doesn't do much for my hair bit it does take the stress off my nerves a little.:e:

Your rite eve i havent been given a proper diagnosis as they are not sure whether it is or not. My dose has been reduced to 250mg and i see no difference with the hair loss or the side affects. Im seeing my neuroligist a week this monday. Im sure my seizures as the doctor called them because he said im inbetween diagnosis are happening tine of the month. I havent had one for nearly a year now bt at the time of the month i can get quite emotional i can feel funny. Light headed and just feel right but the rest of the month i am fine. My normal doc put me on the pilk to see if defo is hormones etc. When i see my neuroligist im going to demand to try the hormone. Med and a night e.e.g. I take a b complex fish oil as thats meant to syrenghten ur hair and vitamins and minerals as these have everything u need in them for healthy hair and healthy body but it dont seem to be working. I would rather just put up ei the seizures as i cant take anymore of the side affects. I hope ya ok n feel free to talk or post on here anytym. Ill try help u the best i can.

Back
Top Bottom