Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I would rather a Gynecologist prescribe me the pill or hormones than a regular doctor. I have always found that other docs don't seem to understand female issues. My gynecologists is always a big help in many areas. He understands hormone issues and has even dealt with women with epilepsy and you're right certain health issues tend to get worst at a certain time of the month. :flowers:

But being you are not certain with what you have..........that's an issue that needs to be resolved because they can not treat you until they have a correct diagnosis on you. Going to the regular MD and the Gynecologist is helpful. The gynecologist can run special tests to check your hormones and he or she may be able to make recommendations to the Neurologist as far as your medicine if he thinks its a hormonal or seizure problem or both.

Btw right now I got my hair up cause I can t do anything with it down and those B vitamins never helped my hair but I still take them to help alleviate the stressful side effects of taking Keppra. And no I have never tried the fish oil. All I take now is B Vitamins 100 Stress complex, Chelated Magnesium, Calcium and Vitamin D3 and the good news is that these have all been ok d by the doctors.:e:

My keppra dosage was reduced from 1500 to 1000 and I feel a little less stressed. :rose:

Im on the lowest possible dosage and i feel no different. I am just so tired all the time no matter how much sleep i get or dont get. Ive put so much weight on. I cant see a light at the end of the tunnel. This day for neuroligist cant come round fast enough. Im gna ask bout the hormone pill like. Oh by the way have you.noticed your chest shrinking? i dno if its jus me. Only 1 gies flat qen i lie down bt wen im uprigjt there ok. Am i being paranoid?

Actually I think I have put on weight since being on Keppra. I went off the Zoloft thinking it was making me gain weight but so far going off the Zoloft has just made me feel less bloated. And no I did not notice my chest shrinking. It sounds to me you need to make an appt with the Gynecologist as well as the Neurologists. Has the regular MD run a complete blood check on you? The Gynecologists have various methods of checking your hormone levels. I am glad to hear that you have an appt with the neuro coming up. Bring a notepad with written questions so you don't forget to ask him certain questions.:e:

Also I was just thinking do you know if the regular MD checked your thyroid levels? The Gynecologist can do this too. Sometimes thyroid problems can cause a variety of problems like weight ,,felling tired and etc and it is easily corrected by taking Synthroid from which I heard doesn't cause the side effects like the seizure meds. Thyroid problems are common in women. Ask if they can check your TSH (thyroid levels).

Last edited:
I have had all these checked they said they were all normal. But im going to ask for them to be checjed again i was never tired until i started to take this keppra. It makes me not sleep sometimes. Yeah av got a notepad with evrythin written down to ask and tell him. He bettwr listen or am.demandin another neuroligist.

Hope it works. One side of my hair feels thinner than the other side but me dad felt it and he said its not. So i dni what to believe.

hair loss

hi,
im taking lamictal and keppra and am experiencing hair loss aswell.
it is driving me insane because i am getting married in 17 weeks time
and quite frankly id like to have my hair!!!
so if you find out a way to help prevent this then i am all ears

Awww bless ya. If i find anything i will def let ya know. Bet the doc says ya imagining it did they? cuz they did with me.

Back
Top Bottom