Epilepsy and hair loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Doesn't it depend from where they get the kelp? I don't think I'd get it from Boston Bay, but in wilderness areas I would eat it. Ever tried sea lettuce? It's delicious. :)

Doesn't it depend from where they get the kelp? I don't think I'd get it from Boston Bay, but in wilderness areas I would eat it. Ever tried sea lettuce? It's delicious. :)

It does but I don't see 8 out of 9 products containing arsenic as being a good ratio.

One person said in one of the studies reviews that I linked to is that the people conducting the study didn't name any brands, probably for legal reasons.

Brand? I was talking about paddling up in a sea kyak, reaching down, picking it, and eating it right out of the sea! In an area where the water is fast moving in/near open ocean and away from people, I think it's quite safe.

Dried processed sea lettuce? Ick!

Personally I think that sounds pretty risky in itself.

Having lived on a beach (OK, a few yards away) I know I'd never do that personally.

Can u reccomend anythin for the hair loss? am seeing my condultant about getting my meds changed.

oh well i dont think ill be taking them then, do you know of any meds that ont make your hair fall out? or any vitamins that stop it falling out?

When I was put on Keppra, the FIRST thing my pharmacist did when we took the prescription over was sit my mother down and tell her I was going to lose my hair. I was in tears. I've only lost it a bit faster than usual, like all symptoms it differs within person, however it probably is just your Keppra.

I've been on Keppra for around 2 years, and I'm coming off it now. It has made me depressed and stunted of almost all emotion. I'm easily irritated and if something doesn't go my way I'll easily flip out and go crazy, it's a horrible drug for me.

Just make them listen, in the end it was my GP that had to listen to me and changed my medication, not my neurologist!

hiya rhiz, thanx for replying, im the sme i am always down n depressed with the keppra after 3 attempts of seeing the doctor they have finnaly listened to me and decided its the wrong medication for me, i was not told anything about the keppra apparantly hair loss isnt a side affect, i have been reccomended a few vitamins and 1 is biotin which im going to start trying. the doctor has had to write 2 my neuroligist which has already been 4 days and I have still heard nothing back yet,i flip out easy with this medication to. i am scared to try another medication incase more hair falls out, i would rather have seizures than cope wiuth the side affects.

epileric yes i have had a look at the links wow its hard to believe seafood is a primary source of arsenic am shocked, well i havent took them again since you told me, i am now going to try biotin if you have heard of this is it any good?

hiya rhiz, thanx for replying, im the sme i am always down n depressed with the keppra after 3 attempts of seeing the doctor they have finnaly listened to me and decided its the wrong medication for me, i was not told anything about the keppra apparantly hair loss isnt a side affect, i have been reccomended a few vitamins and 1 is biotin which im going to start trying. the doctor has had to write 2 my neuroligist which has already been 4 days and I have still heard nothing back yet,i flip out easy with this medication to. i am scared to try another medication incase more hair falls out, i would rather have seizures than cope wiuth the side affects.

I've done a fair amount of research on the more popular epileptic drugs and I'd say Keppra is the only one that has hair loss as a popular side effect, give it a few more weeks and see if you've heard from your neurologist and they'll be able to talk you through some alternatives!

epileric yes i have had a look at the links wow its hard to believe seafood is a primary source of arsenic am shocked, well i havent took them again since you told me, i am now going to try biotin if you have heard of this is it any good?

I meant the link I Posted to the Mayo Clinic in post #27 (numbers on the top right). It has a list of medications that might help.

i was told the other meds are more popular with hair loss, it just shows you doctors dont always know best do they? lol have you heard of biotin?

oh yes epileric av looked at that too thanx, im juast going to continue what am doig and see what the neuroligist says when he eventually gets back to me

Biotin is a B vitamin (B7). Its also calleds "vitamin H," and aids in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins as well. Biotin intake can help with the following conditions:
•healthy hair
•acne
•brittle nails
•diabetes
•eczema
•hair loss
•mild depression
•skin rash

Symptoms of biotin deficiency include thinning of the hair, a red scaly rash (especially around the eyes, nose, and mouth), depression, exhaustion, hallucinations, and tingling of the arms and legs. Biotin deficiency may also lead to high cholesterol and heart problems.

To get your fill of biotin, make sure to include biotin-rich foods like brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, liver, cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots, egg yolks, sardines, legumes, and mushrooms in your diet. If you're considering the use of biotin supplements talk to your doctor before starting your supplement regimen.

Back
Top Bottom