Epilepsy and Related illnesses

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have epilepsy (duh) but I also have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar episodes) and Fibromyalgia. I was wondering, does anyone else have any of these conditions together? Or other combinations you'd be willing to share?

Hi crazychick, I have epliepsy and I also suffer from depression which I heard is pretty common place with epilepsy, more is the shame :(

I have E, depression, hypothyroid, and Type 1 diabetes. Like moongal said, depression is very common along with TLE and other folks also have low blood sugar problems, also.

Hi crazychick, I have epliepsy and I also suffer from depression which I heard is pretty common place with epilepsy, more is the shame :(

Hmmmmm.........I never would have considered my mental/emotional problems :( I too suffer from depression and anxiety.

How do you cope w/depression? Do you take Rx along w/anticonvulsants? I kno I am depressed, it's prolly reactive to circumstances tho. Any help would be appreciated! :(

How do you cope w/depression? Do you take Rx along w/anticonvulsants? I kno I am depressed, it's prolly reactive to circumstances tho. Any help would be appreciated! :(

Chelsea, I'm currently taking 40 mg of Celexa to help with my depression. It works pretty well for me. I don't feel out of it or abnormal. A lot of mine was situational as well (was deployed, had a seizure, was sent back the U.S and now still not sure what's going to happen, so a lot of changes all at once), but I've struggled with depression before being diagnosed. Therapy has also helped me deal with changes and helped me learn to cope and get outside myself, so to speak. But the medication has helped with my random crying spells, pits in my stomach for no reason, and excessive irritability - which I had prior to Keppra (supposedly it's a result of anxiety / depression as well ). Oh she also gave me Klonipin for excessive anxiety, but I've only taken it three times and it worked well for me.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I have suffered from various sleep disorders ever since my teens. No amount of sleep medication or relaxation techniques have results in a deep sleep without any interruption.

On very rare occasions (not even once per year), I have had ataxic episodes which have been connected to my seizure condition.

I take an SSRI anti-depressant, Zoloft. Depression/anxiety is very common with temporal lobe epilepsy. Some AED's are also used for bi-polar disorder. Exercise also helps alleviate anxiety.

i have hypothyroid,for years they said it was fibromyalgia but under active thyroid cause same type of pain...many people told got fibromyalgia and it thyroid...i get low bloodpressure and low blood sugar....not sure if depressed or just real pissed off

Hi guys I take prozac for my depression that and I find walking really helps but sometimes when my E gets out of control I'm unable to exercise as much as I'd like :/

Crazychick

I have E and Ulcerative Colitis, both diagnosed at around the same time.
My Neuroligist thinks both conditions are stress related and in my case, each condition effects the other as well as the meds for each.
IE: If I have a UC flare-up, I have to double up on my UC meds, this means I have to increase my AEDs ~ that means that my Dilantin can go toxic, (that's a whole new set of probs.)

Randy

I have been graced with high blood pressure and anxiety. Everyone on my mother's side of the family is high strung.

Chelsea, I'm currently taking 40 mg of Celexa to help with my depression. It works pretty well for me. I don't feel out of it or abnormal. A lot of mine was situational as well (was deployed, had a seizure, was sent back the U.S and now still not sure what's going to happen, so a lot of changes all at once), but I've struggled with depression before being diagnosed. Therapy has also helped me deal with changes and helped me learn to cope and get outside myself, so to speak. But the medication has helped with my random crying spells, pits in my stomach for no reason, and excessive irritability - which I had prior to Keppra (supposedly it's a result of anxiety / depression as well ). Oh she also gave me Klonipin for excessive anxiety, but I've only taken it three times and it worked well for me.

You really inspire me to be a better person! I will be 29 this Christmas Eve, and I am not where I had hoped to be in many facets of my life. :woot:

I take an SSRI anti-depressant, Zoloft. Depression/anxiety is very common with temporal lobe epilepsy. Some AED's are also used for bi-polar disorder. Exercise also helps alleviate anxiety.
I live near the river, and walked daily in the AM (but discontinued when I went back to work; I was so tired after the day). It is good that I lost my job; now, I can find a profession I love and have passion for. Previously, I lectured the gen'l public on stigma associated w/health and mental health probs. LOVED IT! I rocked it in front of audiences. :)

OH, yeah, also have hereditary progressive dopa-responsive dystonia (DRD)...

You really inspire me to be a better person! I will be 29 this Christmas Eve, and I am not where I had hoped to be in many facets of my life. :woot:

Aw thank you :) and it's never too late to improve until you give up. Of course this is easy for me to say now witg everything feeling under control, but even so, therapy did help me see other facets that WEREN'T bad and that gave me hope (even when I was miserable ) :)

Back
Top Bottom