Epilepsy Rx pen poll

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ann T.

New
Reaction score
Hello, CWE members & Guests:

I've been bouncing this idea in my soba noodle brain for about 2 yrs & would like your opinion. I was wondering how many at this site would be interested in an epilepsy medication pen similar to the diabetes insulin pen manufactured & advertised by Novartis, called the Novalog insulin pen. For those of you whom do not know what I'm describing, it is a small pen complete with a small needle, that has medicine in injectable liquid form. You twist a dial at the base of the pen to the amount you need to take & inject/poke yourself.

Of course, it may not be suitable for people who do not like needles, and for someone like me, I'm on a multiple AED regimen, which would mean more pens to carry. However, since I work at a school with students, I have to take medicine in pill form & that visibly startles students. I would much rather "poke-n-go" than do what I currently do, which is: open a pill bottle & pour all my pills out in my hand to find the medicine I need to take.

I was just curious as to how many people would be interested in medicine in pen, or even patch form? If I receive 50 or more positive responses, I will write to or e-mail a Rx company representative & tell them about my idea. And if you have suggestions to add to my idea, please tell me & I will add them to my correspondence. Thank you in advance for your response. Take care, everyone.
Best Regards,
Ann

Sorry, Ann. I have diabetes & epilepsy, so I already have to do the Novolog injection with every meal along with Lantus injections morning and night, not to mention taking all my AED's. So no more shots for me! I don't see how giving yourself an injection is more suitable than taking a pill, especially at school. Won't you have to find a restroom to inject yourself? Why can't you just get a weekly pill organizer? Sounds to me like Novaritis is just trying to sell you their new product. :ponder:

I would NOT want needles. I've had more then enough needles in my tests to last me. I barely have any veins because of it. And it sounds even more annoying then just taking out a pill bottle and swallowing a tiny capsule.

I know about the awkwardness of having to take pills. I've had bosses tell me to hide in the bathroom when I take them (very unsanitary) and I've even been taken down to the police station because someone saw me take them.

I don't see how using a pen or syringe is any better though. Most people don't know the difference between a pen or syringe and usually associate it with narcotics. As well, hiding in a bathroom (or anywhere) gives the impression that you are doing something wrong. I've learned that with my pills.

WTF! why would they make you take them in the bathroom. Screw that, I'd take them right in front of his face. If he didn't like it, i'd quit. No matter how much money I make, no one is going to make me hide, make me feel ashamed.

WTF! why would they make you take them in the bathroom. Screw that, I'd take them right in front of his face. If he didn't like it, i'd quit. No matter how much money I make, no one is going to make me hide, make me feel ashamed.

It was a radio station & it was more a matter of public image since I was visible to visitors. Of course I refused to take them in the bathroom but I did agree to be more discreet.

thank god, I was worried you actually went to the bathroom. They did that to a cancer patient or someone with a heart problem, I doubt they would do that...
... i'm in a cynical mood tonight, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom