Epilepsy Support Group TX

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Crystal11

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Its been a while since my last post! Internet troubles- yay how fun.

Anyway- I went to my Epilepsy Support Group meeting which was very interesting as many of us share similar troubles with Epilepsy and also some good coping methods we all have found.
I was pleased to hear one other member talking about his school days.
For us both, elementary teachers noticed something was wrong while in class and was concerned about what it was. It helped in letting our parents know something is up and to check in with a doctor.
For me, I was getting in trouble for "staring off" and "spacing out" and even being made fun of because of it.
She told Mom and Mom took me to a doctor and I was diagnosed with possible Absence seizures. We found out after more testing that they were complex partial seizures- and I can remember what it was like to not understand what my auras really were. I remember what it felt like to be accused of not paying attention or whatnot.
Its even more interesting to look back and see how many situations in school were actually seizure or related to Epilepsy. It kind of shocks you to realize what the events really were. Confused all of those years, it makes since once you get a formal diagnosis and proper treatment.

It made me feel better knowing that my school days and troubles in school relating to "staring spells" and wrongly diagnosed ADD were actually seizures. As I got older, I was able to understand even more and take more control over my conditions as an young adult. Its hard to explain what is really going on or how you feel when you're little and don't hardly understand it either.
It normally takes a while for a diagnosis especially with complex partial seizures which causes such strange sensations and don't always show up on EEGs right away.

Anyway- ESG was good and even though it can be frustrating and hard to share personal experiences and concerns, it usually ends with some stressed being released and also learning from others too. Also making friends with others with Epilepsy does make it easier to relate without prejudice or fear.

I hope everyone is well and having a good day.
For those that live in Texas, Epilepsy support group meeting is held every first Monday of the month unless there is a holiday, then it will take place on the second Monday of each month.

If you need further information about time and locations, please send me a message.
The more people, the better :)

Hi Crystal,

Sounds like you found another great source of information and support. Good for you!

Back
Top Bottom