Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Getting Comfortable

Question episodes during sleep???

I am continuing my journey of the diagnosis process, and I keep a journal of symptoms and triggers; and I use it as a daily "diary" as well (as things have been frustrating as of late).

I keep coming on these "bad days" I have been writing about (about once or twice a week), and was wondering if it could be related to actual seizure activity, or medication side affects, or just "bad days". I was hoping maybe some one could give me advice, or maybe relate?

After a usually noticeable difficult night (waking up several times, waking up to fix my blankets/get my pillow/etc., not sleeping well)...

I wake up extremely tired and "out of it". All day I feel like I am in a different dimension (not quite like a simple partial though), and my brain is very "foggy" and "dim".

I am also clumsy and uncoordinated, although this usually gets a bit better as the day goes by. What I mean by this is that I have trouble holding a brush to brush my hair and it takes me 15 minutes to tie my shoes in the morning, but by the evening I can walk in an (almost) straight line. However throughout the whole day I bump into walls, and trip over the floor.

I also tend to stutter more than usual. I am a nervous stutterer as it is (but ONLY when I am anxious/put on the spot), but during these "bad days" it is as if my brain trips over itself (if that makes ANY sense at all) and it is constant.

My understanding is also very slow, especially when people talk to me. But also when things happen i.e. when something unexpectedly falls on the floor it takes me more time to realize what happened.

-------------------

I sleep by my husband every night, and I never wake him. I also do not have (and never had) a Tonic Clonic seizure. I always would read that most Simple and Complex Partial seizures during sleep would go unnoticed? And those are the types of seizures that I identify with and that my neurologist explains that I have.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Gretel
Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Send a message via AIM to C0urt Send a message via Yahoo to C0urt
what meds are you on ?

sounds like a trip to the neurologist to me, I had night time seizures for a bit to, could have been stress of my life style, Started to pee the bed, would quit breathing at night sometimes. wouldn't leave work at work for the longest time.

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to C0urt For This Useful Post:
Gretel (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Getting Comfortable

I am on Topamax, but only on 25mg BiD. It is being used as a migraine preventive and not as a anti seizure medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

do you have a camera you could film yourself at night to see whats going on. I did that and caught several seizures on tape. i feel just like you said most mornings
The Following User Says Thank You to horsehead For This Useful Post:
Gretel (04-10-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Account Closed

Gretel, I respond in exactly the same way that you do when I don't get enough sleep. Not a stutterer but as to all the rest, it's rote for rote. I don't necessarily need to have a seizure during the night for it to happen--it can just be from staying out late, but I have noticed lately that i only really wake up during the night when I've had a seizure. I have always figured that less sleep just provokes more seizures during the day. I have so many different kinds of seizures so I'm pretty much done with trying to label them anymore.

Before I knew about the symptoms of my partials, my ex picked them up when I'd just gone to sleep and he was still awake.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Dealing with the same stuff lately, and I was only have seizures while asleep. I was told I was doing my regular thing. And my brain just can't wrap around whats going on, thankfully I know this is going on to my sleep because it's observed. And that seems to explain the wonky days. Hopefully they pick up what might be going on when you sleep in your video EEG.
The Following User Says Thank You to MuayThaiFighter For This Useful Post:
Gretel (04-10-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Before Keppra I knew I'd had a nocturnal cause I'd wet myself or someone would find me in the kitchen on the floor bleeding from a head wound.

Now I can somewhat differentiate between the nocturnals based on what happens/how I feel and my husband usu wakes up.

t/c - often involves feeling like I had a nightmare, I'm out of it and exhausted the next day. My husband usu tells me when I've had these as I hit him or other stuff.

complex partial - often get up and come to in a different room - bathroom or kitchen. If I stayed in bed I feel like I just warped through a blackhole into the present time. Apparently I also often grab for my husband during these.

simple partial - a mix of mild feelings, feels emotional.

At least that's how I experience/define mine.