Essential Oils

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elle emme

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with essential oils helping seizures? On Sunday, I had a meeting with my yoga instructor -- who is really into essential oils, specifically from this one company called doTerra, whom she claims to have both the oils and work ethic of highest integrity around -- and while I went into this consultation with a cynical mind, thinking "yeah, just another salesperson trying to make a profit, hmmmph... eh, why not hear her out, I've got nothing else on the agenda today," I was surprised to find that my senses were rather impressed with the oils.

I didn't ingest or even topically apply anything. I only smelled the four containers of oils that she presented to me as being good for epilepsy: pure Frankincense, which she claims has been scientifically proven to stop epileptic seizures in their tracks (I haven't read this research personally myself, but am open to the idea); a blend that doTerra makes called Balance (supposedly "grounding"), which contains spruce, rosewood, frankincense, blue tansy, and fractionated coconut oil; a blend called Serenity (purportedly "anti-anxiety"), containing lavender, sweet marjoram, roman chamomile, ylang ylang, sandalwood, and vanilla bean; and a blend called Elevation (dubbed the "joyful blend"), containing lavandin, tangerine, elemi, lemon myrtle, melissa, ylang ylang, osmanthus, and sandalwood.

Never have my olfactory senses been so overwhelming impressed with anything. Granted, this could simply be because they are, after all, essential oils, which are indubitably potent. So of COURSE my sense of smell was overwhelmed, and since they all have pleasant scents, of course it was an overwhelming positive experience I had.

However, the sense of "WHOA!! YES!!!" that I felt upon smelling these oils really struck me by surprise. I felt ecstatic... elated, after merely smelling these things. Could it be that there really is something to these particular oils treating epilepsy?

After merely smelling these oils on Sunday, I went two whole days without having a seizure. This could be a coincidence, but I highly doubt that. I have been averaging at LEAST one seizure a day for the past six months. A few days here and there where I've gone seizure-free, but not nearly enough of those for two more to just randomly pop up like that.

Granted, as I mention in another thread, I have been pursuing neurofeedback therapy recently, and my session this past Wednesday morning (Sep. 25) seemed to be particularly effective: I went two whole days without having a seizure. However, I had one on Friday and one on Saturday, so I assumed that the effectiveness from that Wednesday session had worn off already, and thus was fully expecting to also have seizures on Sunday and Monday.

My instructor told me that if I were to use these, I would apply them topically to the soles of my feet.

As always, any input/advice is very much appreciated.

Some people's seizures do respond to certain essential oils:

Aromatherapy involves essential oils that have an effect upon the brain when inhaled, diffused, or massaged into the skin. A study conducted at the University of Birmingham in England found that patients exposed to essential oils during self-hypnosis and massage conditioned themselves to ward off seizure episodes by sniffing the same scent at later intervals -- possibly because the smell took them back to their state of relaxation. (note: Of the three treatments tried (aromatherapy on its own, aromatherapy plus hypnosis and hypnosis without aromatherapy), aromatherapy plus hypnosis seems to have had the best and most lasting effect (a third of patients still seizure free at two years), but was the most labour intensive and needed medical therapist input. Aromatherapy itself might be best reserved as a short-term treatment for people going through a bad time with their seizures. A fuller and more lasting effect may be obtained with aromatherapy plus hypnosis, but this needs a patient who is prepared to put much time and personal effort into the treatment.)

If you decide to experiment with essential oils as a complementary therapy, do not sniff the oils vigorously. Lightly diffuse the scent into the air or massage a small amount into your skin, without overdoing it. Forceful sniffing can actually trigger seizures in some people. In addition, be careful about the scent you select. Jasmine, chamomile, lavender and ylang-ylang seem to help seizure patients while perfumed scents like camphor, eucalyptus, cinnamon, sage, wormwood and clove are contraindicated for epilepsy patients and have been known to cause seizures rather than alleviate them.

(from http://www.livestrong.com/article/13214-prevent-epileptic-seizures/)

In particular, jasmine seems to be mentioned in anecdotal reports more than any other essence. Another study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18819571) found that Rosa damascena essential oil also had a beneficial effect.

Thanks, Nakamova, for the articles and the heads up about jasmine. I might first just try the four with which I was so impressed on Sunday, but will definitely keep jasmine as well as rosa damascena in mind as possibilities, too~

Keep us posted! I hope the nfb and/or the aromatherapy can have a lasting effect.

Thanks! I have been keeping a detailed journal of all of my seizure activity, including relevant factors such as current treatments, hours of sleep, menstrual cycle, when I've had alcohol, etc., since February, when I quit taking the klonopin and began going through this awful benzodiazepine withdrawal... and I really look forward to the day when I can share what I learned from my own experiences and hopefully offer some helpful advice to others!

My experience with essential oils are if they are a strong fragrance it will trigger a seizure. The one I remember most is tea tree oil. It is very strong.

essential oils

Hi Everyone: This is extremely interesting and I intend to try some. I'm all for trying suggestions on this site.

I'm all for trying suggestions on this site.
I've gotten a ton of good information and useful tips from CWE. That said, remember to proceed with caution (and perhaps optimism!) when trying out any anecdotal treatment suggestion. What works for one person may have a zero or negative effect for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom