Ever Faint/seizure after blood draw?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jan4you

New
Reaction score
Just wondering if ANYONE here ever fainted then had ANY kind of seizure?

I have a friend with MS who just went through that and was told it was a seizure, observed by her mother. So she sees her PCP who says since she did not lose control of bladder, bite her tongue or have confusion she did NOT have a seizure, but vasovagal syncope and symptom-like symptoms followed. Then he added there is no way to know for sure. But she did say she WAS confused.

I am confused and so is she worried that maybe this could happen again. Folks like me, with MS, have a higher potential to have seizures of any kind, mostly simple partials.

Any idea? She also had hypothyroidism. Just want some other opinions as she is scared. And her mother thought for sure it was a seizure.

Jan

As far as I know I haven't had a full blown tonic clonic from having blood drawn or an IV put in. But I have fainted from having blood drawn and I have barfed. And done both in succession. When I faint I usually kinda unknowingly guide myself halfway down before I drop. Kinda like I'm preparing for it without realizing I am. When I seize, its just a BOOM fall back stiff and twitch.

AFTER a blood draw? I've fainted before and during... but I don't know about after. I've gotten much better about it, though. Still not at the point where I can donate, but at the point where at least I don't cry anymore. *blush*

A person doesn't have to bit their tongue or lose bladder control to have had a seizure. But if it was a generalized seizure it'll show up on an EEG. A partial seizure might not show up on an EEG. And he's right - no way to tell from him guessing.

Maybe her neurologist can narrow down the type of possible seizure, and then order up another EEG.

Thanks for all your replies.

A phlebotomost sp? on the MS site said she's seen it all. Probably NOT a true seizure but after fainting body shook some as a reaction to needle.

She's just so scared.. so I thought Id come here and help her out by asking the experienced, experts that you are~hopefully its a 1x thing for her, as MS folks have to give daily or weekly Shots. Doesnt bother her then..hmm..

Thanks for helping..Jan

Thanks for all your replies.

A phlebotomost sp? on the MS site said she's seen it all. Probably NOT a true seizure but after fainting body shook some as a reaction to needle.

She's just so scared.. so I thought Id come here and help her out by asking the experienced, experts that you are~hopefully its a 1x thing for her, as MS folks have to give daily or weekly Shots. Doesnt bother her then..hmm..

Thanks for helping..Jan

NO S.P. was for spelling check but computer program here thought S.P.= simple partials..she does not have that.

No, but incredibly close so I know my time is coming..lol. :roflmao:

My fav spell-out is when I say an E.P.I. pen. I put periods in there. Without it, it just spells out epi pen. How I wish one existed! We'd just whip it out when we need it, and magically writes out medical advice.

Fainted? Nope. Not even close. Blood volume loss or needle sticks don't seem to be seizure triggers for me. And blood doesn't make me woozy. I'm fine with my blood, someone else's blood.

A person doesn't have to bit their tongue or lose bladder control to have had a seizure. But if it was a generalized seizure it'll show up on an EEG. A partial seizure might not show up on an EEG. And he's right - no way to tell from him guessing.

Maybe her neurologist can narrow down the type of possible seizure, and then order up another EEG.

Even a generalized seizure sometimes wont show up on an EEG. It happened to me. My SP was caught during a 30hr EEG, but my TC wasnt during the VEEG

Even a generalized seizure sometimes wont show up on an EEG. It happened to me. My SP was caught during a 30hr EEG, but my TC wasnt during the VEEG

Thanks Rae.. I knew that you dont always bite your tongue, lose control over bladder and for my hubby AFTER his temporal lobectomy he never got an "aura" any longer or had post ictal. BUT this is what her doctor said to RULE OUT a seizure. So many do not know this plus do not know what a complex partial was..geez.

Your responses..always timely!

Jan

I have never fainted/ had a seizure during/after blood test. However, I am very uncomfortable when someones sticks a needle in me (especially to draw blood!) and it makes me feel woozy, my skin gets all clammy and I am all shaky for some time after the procedure. But I have observed that when I had my medication levels checked every week for 6 weeks last year my recovery period was getting progressively shorter (the first time I was still shaky 2 hours after I left the clinic). Systematic desensitisation at work lol :D.

Nope...you can pinch, poke, prod, cut, drill, stick or whatever else to my body and I have know problems...I actually like to watch, lol. My ortho doc gave me steroid shots in my thumbs to try to give me some pain relief and was awestruck. He used a 6" needle and numbed the surface of my thumb but said this is going to hurt when I stick it in the joint. I sat there and watched him and didn't flinch. He asked me if I felt it and I told him no, then he said to remind him to never make me angry, lol.

I would definitely find it unusual for someone who is use to getting and/or giving themselves shots on a regular basis to faint though when getting blood drawn, particulalry if they haven't done it before. The only things I can think of that would make it suspect is if the individual hadn't eaten yet and their blood sugar might have beenn low or they were in the midst of some reaction to one of their meds. These would be more coincidental though.

Thanks for recent replies.. esp Zoofemme..oh tough one.

I do my centered breathing (labor breathing) whenever I think something MAY hurt or told it may. Looking..brave.. but I have done that as well. I think this gal had a more autonomic response, yes to blood sugar lowering..and the notion of WHY they are testing someone with neurological issues.

Thanks again.. thought this was strange..she was more myoclonic after fainting to ground. And sadly, many of us with MS, have more of a chance for seizures than others. Lucky us!! As if MS was not a challenge enough..lets mix it up hey?

Jan

I work at a plasma donation center. And although rare, some people do faint or go into convulsions while donating. Once they get their red blood cells back, they do feel much better.

I would assume, if you already have a seizure disorder, the threshold would be lowered a bit.

Most reactions occur because of anxiety. And anxiety can cause seizures.

I've gotten lightheaded a few times while having my blood drawn. One time it was during a phlebotomy class and the girl was digging in my veins (scary!). Never passed out or got sick though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom