Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Exercise & Seizures

I've been reading about exercising and seizures. For a long time after my seizure I was terrified of walking again cause I was afraid I'd have anothe seizure. Now everyone is different of course and you SHOULD consult with your doctor before starting any exercise routine when you suffer from seizures but walking can actually benefit you and may improve epilepsy. The article states that walking can help you and that it's rare for a seizure to occur during exercise but like I said, everyone's different & consult your doctor.

I started walking again on July 17th and I've been walking 12 days and it's really making a difference in how I feel. And I have asthma on top of everything else but it is usually allergy related, however sometimes exercise can trigger it, depending. However I've been walking everyday and it is making me feel so much better.

Go to betterhealth.gov & look up epilepsy and exercise. Can't post links yet, sheesh, how long do you have to be here to post links?
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelwithDentedHalo For This Useful Post:
MuayThaiFighter (07-30-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Recent Blog: Few and Far Between

Good!

I've been using Map My Fitness and My Tracks (both apps for Droid) to keep up with my running. I started running (again) 5 months after my first seizure, and I am recovering from another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autumn Breeze For This Useful Post:
MuayThaiFighter (07-30-2012), SassySarah (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I think it does really depend on the person. Some days I just can't exert myself, even on a light basis. I think at least walking or some form of exercise can really help most, I think extreme workouts might trigger a seizure. Stress mentally can cause they and if the body is breathing at a high rate, the mind seems to mistake that for panic.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 AM

Personally, I think it has to do with heart/breathing rates when it comes to exercise being a trigger. Typically when it's low impact and slower paced exercise, people seem to be fine. Walking is a great example

A sharp increase in breathing rate can freak out your nervous system like hyperventilation does. Hyperventiliation is often used during EEGs to trigger seizures, so it's not a huge leap to think it'd do the same when you're exercising.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AngelwithDentedHalo View Post:
The article states that walking can help you and that it's rare for a seizure to occur during exercise but like I said, everyone's different & consult your doctor.
.... Interesting that the article states that seizures are rare during exercise, as I find it isn't rare for a seizure to occur while exercising for me. I've even went into tonic clonic's while walking several times. Any type of stress on the body can induce a seizure for some folks, even walking. But that hasn't happened in a long time and I never did let it stop me from walking/exercising. I had a trainer just a few year ago and he even witnessed several complex partial seizures, but we didn't let that stop me from exercising completely.

Originally Posted by AngelwithDentedHalo View Post:
However I've been walking everyday and it is making me feel so much better.
Getting those endorphins (runner's high) going is what walking/exercise does. Exercise is good for the brain.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,055 Posts
I used to walk a mile a day, before I started having problems with my back, and I never had any problems. I kept it at a slower pace. It usually took about 20 min to go a mile.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I have found a recumbent bike in my living room with someone nearby is good for me right now. I was a runner before all of this- still need to get body stronger before trying that dr said. Also walking is rough on my back right now. It is helping me get my weight down...which has been a problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2