Extreme heat & epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have to be very careful when it comes to being overheated. One of my seizure meds and my blood pressure med caused me to be very sensitive to heat, I can end up having seizures and/or I get very shaky, lightheaded, dizzy and my vision becomes blurry.

I have the exact same problem, only it is all of my seizure meds.

Last edited:
Finally had a storm last night, and my god it was a whopper! Shame it was at 4am when i had to be up at half six for work. Was tired!

Lots of fork lightning and some really LOUD thunder. Apparently there was flooding in some parts and a guy's house got hit by Lightning.

It's still roasting here but at least it's not so humid. Plus i got to sit in a nice air conditioned cinema and then a pub at work earlier (perks of the job!)

Hi Loopy Lou,

I went to go get my medicine today. I went by bus. It was hot. I am thankful that the bus is air conditioned.

I saw some clouds today over the mountains. We will probably get rain and lightening. We need the rain, we are having a drought.

I am curious, what is your signature translated in English.

Oh, it means "Life of lives, beginning without an end, we are alive forever"

It's Irish, and i believe it was used in Enya's "The celts" Lyrics.​

Hi Loopy Lou,

That is a beautiful signature line. I love it.

Hi Loopy Lou,

I will remember it. "Life of lives, beginning without an end, we are alive forever."

Saol na saol,
Tus go deireadh.
Ta muid beo
Go deo.

Sorry, I do not have the accent marks on my keyboard. I will put it in microsoft works, where I can save it. It is beautiful.
I just went and saved it.

Last edited:
too hot for this...

Collapsing from heat is how I was diagnosed as a kid.
Church and schools were not air-conditioned back when.
I down water with mineral salts when I am going to be outside for extended periods. Then I come inside, shower and 'air' dry. Then I sleep for the rest of the afternoon. Then eat small meals, and hydrate.

Last edited:
Shelley

I AM curious..........when you say that you drink water with mineral salts, what exactly do you mean? What do you put in the water, or does it already come that way? I AM CONFUSSSSSSEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!1:roflmao::roflmao: :roflmao:

Hi, after being out in the sun for awhile, I drink elecrolytes. You can buy it at the stores. I drink Pedialyte. I drink half a glass, so I do not get to much salt. They say that is for children but it works for me.

I hear Gatorade works the same way. I have never had that. A lot of athletes and people out in the sun for long periods drink that.

mineral salts

is something I found at an herb shop approx. five years ago. I add a drop to my water.
I don't do Gatorade, because there is too much sugar.
If I want something commercial, I will try to find something without that much sugar.
But even that wasn't around when I was a kid.
But prayer was. I wish Gatorade and that new University of Texas drink were around. Things would be different.

Hmmmmmm

Shelley, does it say on the bottle what exactly is IN the mineral salts, just out of curiousity?? (I'd better be careful......curiosity killed the cat, didn't it?)

As a rule, I never drink pure water. I will drink a small sports drink instead. Extreme heat and extreme sweating are definitely a bad thing for this condition. I have to be careful not to drink too much because I could wash meds out of my system one way or another. I suppose a good cheap way to cool off is with a hose outside and a swimming suit.

Hi there. This is something which I too am interested in, as a good friend of mine who also has epilepsy recently said to me that he tends to be more prone to seizures in the hot weather. Keep me posted please, best for now, Rocket Man.

As a rule, I never drink pure water. I will drink a small sports drink instead. Extreme heat and extreme sweating are definitely a bad thing for this condition. I have to be careful not to drink too much because I could wash meds out of my system one way or another. I suppose a good cheap way to cool off is with a hose outside and a swimming suit.

You can "wash" the meds out by drinking too much? I normally drink flavoured water, and i drink constantly throughout the day. Think i must have been a fish in a past life!

mineral salts

contain: magnesium @ 250 mg
chloride @ 700
sodium @ 10
potassium @ 5

traceminerals.com

Hi everyone,

Mineral salts souds like it might be a good idea. Maybe I will try it.

I have to drink a lot of water or else I get dehydrated. I drink 6 glasses a day. I do not drink gatorade. I cannot stand the taste. That was just a suggestion. It is popular where I live.

I also didn't know that you wash the meds out of your system if you drink to much liquid.
Especially in the Summer time I can drink up to 4 or more 16 oz. of Propel Water, It seems to do the best for me as far as water goes. I don't like any of the other flavored water, I don't care to much for plain water and definetly can't drink tap water, not here anyway it can literlly make me nauseaus.

Drinking extra water does not increase my seizures. Extra water is not a trigger for me. That is what you have to go by. Am I having extra water causing me to have more seizures? Ask yourselves that question. Each of us is different.

Heat vs cold

Compared to being cold, I love the heat. I recently moved from NW PA back to SW Nevada and haven't had a seizure since I've been back. I hate the cold winters and humid summers compared to the dry heat during the summers and balmy winters out here in the desert. If I have it my way, I'll never be cold again.

Back
Top Bottom