Extreme heat & epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Seruzies,

I visited my daughter in PA to see my grandson graduate. The humidity was so bad it increased my seizures to the point where I had to come back home to CA. We live where there is dry heat. I do not have as many seizures living here.

We were living for 10 years in Northern CA. We were close to the coast. It was humid there and I had a lot more seizures there than I do here. We have dry heat here. I wonder how many others in CWE have the same problem with weather.

64 oz

I heard somewhere that we are supposed to drink 64 oz of water a day. It is supposed to keep you well hydrated and less sleepy.
I don't drink that much. I can't sweat that much. I don't sweat as much as the 'normal' person.
It is supposed to help clean out you organs of waste and byproducts of metabolism.
Then there is the argument that you don't need any water because you are supposed to get all that from food.
I drink as much as I can remember to drink, and no more.
As for mineral salts, I only use it sparingly and try not to venture outside much on a hot day.

My doctor

told me up to 3 liters a day of actual water a day, and my body would get the rest of what I needed from the food I eat. But keep in mind, I'm also a larger sized person than most....

Heat can really bother me. This year on really hot days I put my feet in the pool water. And I confess, when somebody who can take care of me is around I have gone swimming. Otherwise I do my best to stay cool. I live in WA state. I am not used to high heat lol. So when it gets to 90 something I have to stay cool. I will seize.

I wish

It was in the 90s' here. We have set a record in the 100s' for the last 10 out of twelve days.

It's only

in the 60's, MAYBE the 70's, here. I'd LOVE some heat right now....

Last week it was a record breaker 108 here. Years ago when I sat in a lawn chair next to the pool, I did not know I could not move. When I got up to go swimming, I fell down and could not walk. A person was there who helped me get home. It is a good thing I did not go swimming. I felt fine when I was sitting down. If I had gone swimming without someone to help me, I would have probably drowned when I had my seizure.

Thank-you. I have not gone swimming in a long time. And my boyfriend is an emt. Usually, I just put my feet in the water. And I would never recomend it for any one else. Teresa

Back
Top Bottom