Extreme mood swings are driving me and everyone around me insane

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mommymela

New
Reaction score
So I'm on what my doc says is a beginner's dose of keppra (1500 mg daily broken down into 3 doses daily), and I fucking hate it. I'm up and down and up and down and the smallest thing makes me flip out. The bigger things make me completely lose it. I'll wake up in the morning, feeling pretty good, then I take the first dose and it begins. Still hardly any appetite and I feel depressed and lethargic all day. I've been crying over everything. It's been 22 days since I started it, do you think I've tried this one long enough? I'm thinking about trying to see my regular doc or just going to the ER tomorrow to try to get them to switch me to something else. I don't feel normal and I can't handle it, I can't take this much longer. I can only imagine it getting worse when they increase it like my doc said they will. I still won't be able to see my actual neuro until November. I really hope this post makes a little sense because I kind of feel all over the place. I'm also having a hard time focusing on getting my schoolwork done or anything else useful.

I really wish it was an option for me to not be on medication at all I'm crying over how insane it makes me feel...

mommymela

Its ok to feel so bad about it and cry, from my point of view get off the keppra. It sounds like keppra rage setting in.

if the keppra is doing that much to ya then go to something thats more stable.
i know easier said than done.... I had to get off it myself....now its so much better.....

My daughter couldn't tolerate Keppra - it made her anxiety and depression worse, gave her panic attacks and when she was on Keppra she basically could not cope with life. It''s sounding like Keppra is not the right medication for you. You might want to give it another week or two (the first 3 weeks are generally the worst for side effects, although for Annika it actually got worse over time), but if you really can't take it any more I would call your neurologist tomorrow and ask to start the process of switching medication. For my daughter the best medication has been Vimpat, but of course everyone is different.

Good luck to you!

I can't get in to see my new neurologist until November. I just went to the ER because I was so upset. I waited almost 3 hours then just wanted to be back in my own bed and I could feel myself getting more and more pissed off waiting, so I left without being seen. So I wonder if I should call my regular doc tomorrow and try to get him to prescribe something different or try sticking it out one more week. I just want to feel normal and eat food and work out and play with my kids again. This being in bed shit all day is horrible. Earlier I felt like I couldn't handle taking one more dose. I think getting out of the house made me feel a tiny bit better because now I feel like I can hang on for a little longer. Keppra is probably not for me though, my anxiety is way through the roof. Neither is lamictal, I remember feeling similar on it, maybe not as angry but still in bed all day. At least I have a comfy bed.

Do you have any way of contacting your neurologist before November to discuss making a change sooner? I can call or message Annika's neuro and he will get back to me within 24-48 hours (depending on what we need) - however, I know that many people do not get that kind of responsiveness from their doctors which is a real shame. Unfortunately, I doubt that you'll find anyone with the expertise you need at the ER.

I tried to call and talk to her and was told I could leave a message but no one ever called back. I'll try again in the morning but not feeling too hopeful about reaching her, that place must be super busy.

Years ago, my neurologist started me on Felbatol when it first came to market. It made me incredibly sad and gave me extreme migraines after being on it for only a month. So one day, I called my doc's office and told her nurse to tell my neuro that I was going to slowly take myself off Felbatol because I couldn't withstand the side-effects any longer. Well, the nurse obviously told my neurologist because within a few hours the doc's office called me back and set up an appt. for the following week. I'm not advising you to take yourself off the drug, but what I'm saying is, KEEP bugging them and tell them the drug ISN'T working for you!! Tell them how DEPRESSED it is making you! Tell them again and again!!

Good Luck!!

I weaned myself off lamictal for the same reason a couple years back with no issues, if it gets as bad as it did Sunday again I'll be tempted to do the same with keppra. Good idea though. I already made an appt with my regular doc Wednesday, so he should know something to do...time to nag neuro again

I did not have any mood issues on Keppra, but I am on another one called Fycompa that can sometimes have similar effects (irritability, aggression, frustration, etc.) for people. I was told by my neurologist that if the drug turned out to work in all other respects but mood issues were a problem, that he would be able to refer me to a counselor who specializes in drug-triggered mood issues. Just mentioning this in case you want to ask your neurologist if this option is available to you or appropriate in your case.

It's probably a good idea for me to see a counselor either way, good idea, I wouldn't have thought to bring it up.

I was told by my neurologist that if the drug turned out to work in all other respects but mood issues were a problem, that he would be able to refer me to a counselor who specializes in drug-triggered mood issues. Just mentioning this in case you want to ask your neurologist if this option is available to you or appropriate in your case.

Mood swings can and do also go along with E. I've suffered with mood swings for years, long before Keppra came along. My epileptologist sent me to a neuropsychiatrist for that problem...

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/moods-and-behavior
Mood Disorders
Many people with epilepsy experience disagreeable changes in their emotions, and the link between mood disorders and epilepsy has been observed for more than 2,000 years. While this link has been noticed for many years, the relationship between seizures and mood disorders has not been well understood until recently.

I get mood swings threw ipad at wall yesterday..i not sure if e or medication to blame

Side effects, some like you describe is why I made up my mind to get off the drugs and learn to manage the seizures on my own. It took me years to realize my "mental illness" symptoms were often triggered by the drug side effects, both anticonvulsants and psychiatric meds.

The mood disorders quoted above that are trggered by seizures may be made worse by the anticonvulsants used to treat them. That was my experience.

You may want to try these searches on Google to inform and decide how to help yourself:

+keppra side effects psychiatric symptoms

"keppra" "homocysteine"

"elevated homocysteine" "seizure threshold"
"elevated homocysteine" "psychiatric symptoms"
"elevated homocysteine" cognitive impairment"
Do the same search using 'Keppra" and "Metabolic acidosis" and then do the above search using "metabolic acidosis" instead of "elevated homocysteine."

What you are describing are known side effects of Keppra.

Side Effects of Keppra (Levetiracetam) Drug Center - RxList
www.rxlist.com › home › drugs az list
RxList
Find a comprehensive guide to possible side effects when taking Keppra ... symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, ...
http://www.rxlist.com/keppra-side-effects-drug-center.htm

keppra - FDA Reports
www.fda-reports.com/keppra/reaction/metabolic_acidosis/page1.html
Summery of metabolic_acidosis reactions for FDA involving keppra. ... Pharyngitis, Multi Organ Failure, Metabolic Acidosis, Lymphadenopathy, Liver Function ...
http://www.fda-reports.com/keppra/reaction/metabolic_acidosis/page1.html
Any drugs you take for psychiatric symptoms also may cause side effects. If you decide to take any psychiatric meds, you might want to research the drug first. If you and your doctor determine you are having these side effects from the seizure med you might want to look at ways to treat the side effects without more drugs, or look at other ways to treat your seizures.

Your pharmacist and the counselor your doctor mentioned may be good resources for you as well. Hoping you get some help quick!

Some folks have found that taking a B6 supplement helps with keppra's mood-related side effects. It might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

Did you start off on the 1,500mg dosage? The neurologist who put me on Keppra said that to avoid the side effects it was better start at 250mg and increase it by 250mg every 14 days. I can't say I've been immune to its side effects, the last week especially, but for me it wasn't too bad the first five months.

I know what mean about food. I've been buying more expensive food in the hope that it might appeal more when I'm hungry, but that's not quite working out. I've lost over a stone since I started Keppra. Perhaps they should market it as an appetite suppressant?

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice to what has already been suggested. I just wanted to let you know that you're not going through this alone.

I miss food so much. I tried to eat again today and threw it up. I went to the doc today and he saw that I lost 10 pounds in the 2 weeks since I've seen him but he didn't seem concerned or offer any solution since I'm still not considered underweight. I just want an appetite and to eat a yummy meal without throwing up :( I wish I could afford weed at the moment, I know it would solve everything...

Did you start off on the 1,500mg dosage? The neurologist who put me on Keppra said that to avoid the side effects it was better start at 250mg and increase it by 250mg every 14 days. I can't say I've been immune to its side effects, the last week especially, but for me it wasn't too bad the first five months.

I know what mean about food. I've been buying more expensive food in the hope that it might appeal more when I'm hungry, but that's not quite working out. I've lost over a stone since I started Keppra. Perhaps they should market it as an appetite suppressant?

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice to what has already been suggested. I just wanted to let you know that you're not going through this alone.

And yes, they started me out at 1,500 and the doc today said I need to be increased to 3,000 but he would leave it up to my neuro to do that since I flat out refused. He also offered me more pills for my side effects. No thanks.

Mommymela,
I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with Keppra. This sounds very similar to what I experienced with Zonisamide. My neurologist is backed up for several months at a time as well. Have you asked to be put on the list for cancelled appointments? My neuro can usually get me in within a few days to a week when I need to see him and I have asked to be put on the list. I hope everything gets better for you. I don't know which state you are in or if they allow medical marijuana, but it sounds like it might help you with appetite and E issues. I too have had docs throw more meds in the mix to counteract side effects of other meds, not fun.

Check out this thread:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/postictal-psychosis-med-reaction-25567/

I have had bad reactions to med changes/ interactions. Some meds also strip your body of essential vitamins and minerals. Couple this with a lack of appetite and you might have even worse problems on the way. I'm only saying this to try to be helpful. Have you tried fruit and yogurt smoothies with some type of protein/ vitamin supplement? If you're not hungry, maybe you can drink something? Just a thought. I hope all goes well for you.

Back
Top Bottom