Extrememly weird menstal cycle, no simple partials, very scared.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
I didn't really know where to put this topic, and I'm really sorry if I screwed up. There is some seizure stuff in this topic though. For anyone who doesn't know my age, I'm 23.
Please be mature. I'm sure most people here are probably teens and adults - we all know what a period is(that includes you men!)!

My period came 4 days ealier - of course it's common for us ladies to be a little early/late, and I have been much ealier before, I'm just giving out some info for this.

My period last for 8 days, it's my 7th day today and it's still heavey like the 3rd-4th day of my normal period, even has that "fishy" smell. On my 6th and 7th I'm usually just spotting. What is also strange, is that my first day was very light than usual and my second day was light aswell. My second day is my heaviest. This is stressing me out. What is going on?!

Cramps have been pretty nasty yesterday, kept me up all that night. Same thing happend last night, but I'm not cramping right now. I've been awake since 11 pm last night, though I got 4 hours of sleep prior.

Yesterday and today, both my sides of my waist or pelvic(or whatever you call it) has some light soreness to it. Not really bothersome, thought I would share it.

Now the really really weird thing is that I'm not having ANY seizure activity(as a reminder, ever since I started taking Depakote about 4 months ago, I haven't had any convulsions, I still have simple partials though) Every time I have my period I have episodes of simple partials - it's the 7th day of my period today and I have yet to have any simple partials! I have to admit - what a relief!

I take 1 microgram of folic acid. We ran out of it, but my mom got more and put me back on yesterday. I was wondering if that is responsible for this issue.

Yes, I guess I am a very paranoid person, even my neurologist said so. But because my ignorant parents always think they're right(like my mom said to me this morning when I mentioned my period "oh, you'll be ok." I hate waiting for problems to get worse and end up in the hospital. This has happend), I have no choice but to be worried.
I cannot go to my gyno right now.

So, what do you think? Is it the folic acid thing? Could it be my other meds(lamictal, keppra, and depakote)? Will my period stop? Why didn't I have any Simple Partials?
Could it just be menstrulitus(spelling)? Is it a cancer? Uterine cyst? Tumor? I don't want my legs chopped off!
Anything else?

Give me your idea on what this could be, please please please. I've never had something like this! I'm really scared!

Regards,

Stinkpot

Hi, Stinkpot,

I think you may be talking about 2 different things.

As for your period, if you think you may have an infection or if the bleeding is very unusually heavy it's probably time to go to the doctor. We could make guesses all day, but the doctor will do a few tests and figure out what is going on (or not going on). Menstrual irregularities is a side effect of Depakote. So it might be that, too.
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/table_9steps_sideeffs.html

No seizures during your period.... lots of women in here have something called catamenial seizures. Those are seizures that are timed with women's cycles. Maybe that applies to you, too? I'm glad to hear the Depakote is working on your seizures - that is GREAT. :)

Stinkpot,

I think you need to discuss the situation with your neuro and ob/gyn. Estrogen is thought to be a "pro-convolsant" and progesterone is said to be an "anti-convulsant" and many of the seizure meds do interfere with with menstruation as does epilepsy for a lot of us women.
When I used to have my periods, sometimes they would last for 2 weeks and were painful and heavy, depending on which seizure med I was taking at the time. Sometimes the seizures would happen, sometimes not, but more often than not for me.

Check out this website:
http://www.epilepsy.com/INFO/WOMEN

I was

like Cint. And my cycles were alll over the place, depending on the meds that I was on at the time. Pick a med, see the cycle change. URGGG. 'Twas VERY annoying.

Go see the neuro and the gyno, both. It's unlikely you've got any serious problem, it's probably just dealing with your meds. And your hormones, which are fully active at your age, are most definitely playing into the whole thing, too.

hi stinkpot, ive been doing a lot of research on the connection of epilepsy and hormonal disorders. what type of epilepsy do you have? i have polycystic ovaries and im still trying to see a connection. let me know
olivia

Hi Stinkpot --

Different things affect hormone levels, and fluctuating hormone levels affect the brain, lowering seizure threshold. Usually it's high estrogen or low progesterone or a combo of the two that can trigger a seizure. It's likely that something in your environment is affecting your hormones -- it could be meds, something in your diet, stress, or some sort of gyno issue that has [perhaps] lowered your estrogen level or upped your progesterone level so that you aren't having your usual simple partials.

I agree with what folks have said -- get checked out by your doc.

My daughters monthly cycle has been connected to her seizures. However, she is med free, and now seizure free for seven months. I began to target why her hormones are not balanced, and it came back to the health of other body organs. That in turn led me to how nutrition is the direct link to GI health, liver health, insulin levels, etc. It is the one major component in stabilizing hormones.

Supplementing vitamins and minerals while working on seizure threshold has been helpful too. While her periods are heavy, and not 100% regular, at least she is not having a seizure during that TOM. She does feel ill though, and that is one thing we are trying to work through.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Turns out my period is officialy over today! What a relief!

Back
Top Bottom