Fearful of traveling abroad!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bluelammy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.:hello:I am asking you all this question because the topic has affected me personally in the past and i was just curious how many other people have had the same problem.
The reason that i am asking this question is because in the past, when i moved out of my parents home and into my own place with my partner whos now my wife, i wouldn`t travel abroad on holiday for about two and a half years. She used to ask me to go abroad on holiday, but i used to tell her no i didn`t feel like, lets go somewhere closer to home. The reason i wouldn`t go was because i used to worry out of all proportion about what would happen to me if i had some bad siezures when away from home because of my condition. I used to imagine a worst case scenario for some reason because luckily 92% of my siezures happen when i am asleep.Well anyway in the end i came to my senses, stopped worrying and have enjoyed travelling ever since.
I know there must be other people out there who have had or have the same problem, be it because of personal anxiety or medical advice, so i was wondering how you have dealt with the problem. Thanks

Well anyway in the end i came to my senses, stopped worrying and have enjoyed travelling ever since.
I know there must be other people out there who have had or have the same problem, be it because of personal anxiety or medical advice, so i was wondering how you have dealt with the problem. Thanks

I did what you said..... I stopped worrying and started traveling. I've had CP's several times upon my destination, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. But I do run the risk of having CP's and TC's and now I have the VNS, so security can be a hassle. Plus I have diabetes, and with all my diabetic supplies, they probably think I am some kind of junkie. :ponder: My endocrinologist does provide me with a letter telling of my problem. My philosophy is I only live once and since I was in the travel industry when I started having seizures, then why shouldn't I enjoy life like others do? I just have a few precautions I have to take and get a bit more sleep than others.

I've traveled across the U.S. many times and across the Atlantic several times. I hope to go to Boston within the next year, since my son is now going to school there.

Well... IMHO...

I say TRAVEL! :)

Most developed (industrialized) countries have pretty good health care. So no worries.

Least developed countries are another matter. You are on your own. There may be a clinic or hospital that meets world standards where you are, but don't count on it. If they are there, they are bare-bones and may not know much about epilepsy. Most world-standard charity/mission clinics will treat you while you are there. Often times that's the best care available. I knew where the American non-profit clinics were before my feet hit the ground.

Take along everything you will need, including rescue meds in case you go into status. See your neurologist, and a good travel doc. Get injectible meds if you might need them, have the doc train you and your travel companion on when (and how to known when) to use them, and have the nurse train you on how to admister them.

I've traveled in third world countries, before my diagnosis. I had this funny little voice in my head saying "be careful." I stayed out of the water, etc. Now I know it was instinct because I knew something was wrong. The last trip I took I found a good driver that I hired for the entire trip. He did more than drive - he took me everywhere and kept an eye on me wherever I was. I'm not sure what he would have done if I had "gotten sick" (aka had a seizure), but I'd hope he'd take me to one of only two western-style clinics within 500 miles (both charity clinics for the locals. One clinic American, the other European).

Whever you go, you may want to print out some kind of helpful statement, in all the languages spoken in that country.
Try to get the translation for "epilepsy" and "seizures" in advance. "Status epilepticus" if you can. Good idea to suggest to the epilepsy foundation or epilepsy.com to put on their websites. Here's a website with simple translations. I see they have nothing like "I have epilepsy. My medication is _____. Please treat my seizures." Not like it would necessarily help if you go to a third world country; many undeveloped countries don't know about epilepsy and think seizures are some kind of mental defect.
http://www.selectwisely.com/

I'd also find out what your specific medicaton and dosage is called in those countries, in case you need it. In many countries you don't need a doctor's prescription, but you would need to go to a pharmacy that meets world standards, or who knows what you will get.

In other words, do your research. Know the countries you are going to. Especially their health care systems, requirements for bringing drugs into the country, specialized clinics if they exist, how people are usually transported to the hospital, translations of your condition and meds, and usual clinic payment requirements (In some places it's pay cash first, we treat you later).

Have fun! Where are you thinking of going?

Last edited:
Growing up my parents used to take the family down to the US pretty frequently and we even went overseas so I'm not really scared of travelling but as my seizures are getting worse these days I do find a lot of security in wearing my medic-alert bracelet whenever I'm away from home.

Since I developed epilepsy 12 years ago, I've been to Italy (4 times), Mexico, and Peru. I hope to go to Ecuador next year. I don't worry about having seizures while traveling, maybe because so far all my experiences have been positive (knock on wood). I do think that traveling with family and friends removes one layer of worry, and makes things easier.

Enjoy the traveling, life is too short. Just make sure you get enough sleep on the plane for those long hauls to Australia!

Back
Top Bottom