Feeling rather down lately...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wobblez

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, how are we all?

Well I've been putting off writing this sort of post but I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on my persistent low mood.

About two and a half months ago I had the Depo contraceptive injection. My GP is married to an Epileptologist and we discussed this option at length. She did say it can cause mild depression/anxiety in people who are prone to this (like me) but I decided to give it a go anyway as my options are quite limited. I'm tossing up whether to get the next injection in a few weeks time.

Around the same time (in hindsight...bad timing) I also began reducing my Lexapro (anti-depressant) from 15mg daily to 5mg daily. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue as I've done it so gradually, but one or both of these changes seems to have affected me. I've had a short bout of depression in my "horror year of 2009" so I've learnt how to monitor my moods and get on to these things quickly with thought training etc. I've also reluctantly stayed on 10mg daily for the moment.

My seizures have increased in frequency and although I am very grateful they are relatively minor in comparison to other people on here, they are leaving me exhausted all day, every day. This has been going on for a few months now and I've been waking up totally shattered, despite getting loads of sleep.

Admittedly, I have a lot on at the moment. I'm not coping as well with uni as my eyesight has suffered from the medication and I need new glasses, I've suddenly had to move house and I need to get a job ASAP to cover my increased rent. I'm living with a close friend so I'm really happy here but public transport is crap and living with her gorgeous but active 4 year old does add to the mental stimulation lol!

Any thoughts or advice?

I should add that thanks to having some connections in the industry, I have a free psych appointment on Friday with the psychologist I saw a few years ago. No shame in getting on to these things quickly huh!

Your life is filled with stressors at the moment! Things have been a roller coaster for you over the past year, hasn't it? My goodness. I'm glad that you have a free psych appt who is also one that you are used to so I hope that it is someone you feel comfortable with.
Moving, increased seizures at the moment, unable to get around freely, changes in more than one medication...
I'm glad you are living with a close friend and I hope they are someone you can lean on.
I don't have any advice for you but hold on tight!
I think I heard something in a show recently that said "when things get rough you have to hang on until the scenery changes". And it will.
I hope the progesterone only aspect of the depo injections helps reduce your seizures. Did I read somewhere that depo causes fatique too? I'm not sure though.
My sister (the one who doesn't have epilepsy) tried it out but couldn't deal with how it affected her. It did cause hair loss and depression for her but hopefully it pans out for you!

I am sorry your not feeling life the way you want to right now. I find the mornings can be tough for some reason. Though seeing a psyche is a good idea. Venting out the problems of life can really alleviate everything. I hope everything goes well for you and best wishes.

"Depo contraceptive injection - tossing up whether to get the next injection in a few weeks time."
The very outcome/side affect of what the doc warned was possible - "it can cause mild depression/anxiety in people who are prone to this (like me)?" may or may not be the trigger but I’d say rule it out to 'test' the waters withOUT it .....and see how you feel...

Just my 2cents...

I am sorry to hear what you are going through! This has been a rough month for me as well, so I understand.

As for the depo shot, I have heard from friends that it caused them to become more emotional, or as my friend described it, it made her feel crazy. This was without any additional stressors in her life. It's not the same, but I was taking the pill (yazmin) for awhile, and had to stop because it turned me into an emotional wreck (this is before my diagnosis of epilepsy, though my first seizure happened shortly before I stopped taking it). That is the main reason I chose to use an IUD (even the hormonal one has lower levels) because my emotions don't like to handle birth control hormones on top of everything else. You might want to look into that as a means of birth control if your body can tolerate it?

I hope your appointment with the psychologist goes well :) Therapy has helped me a lot with everything that has gone on in the past few months, and it will likely help you as well!

Hi Wobblez, I hope the psych meeting goes well, and helps you feel tons better. Since there are multiple factors that may be affecting your mood, maybe pick one to change (like the Depo, or possible going back up on the Lexapro) and see if that makes a difference? Some of things stressing you out are just part of life, and you may not have a lot of control over them. Find which things you can control, and try make adjustments. Keep us posted, wishing you well.

Hi Nakamova, Yes, after I wrote the post and saw all the changes down on paper I thought it seemed rather obvious as to why I was tired and stressed! You make a good point though, I need to work on what I CAN change =) I've woken up after 10hours sleep but I feel particularly exhausted and I'm having auras. I need to decide ASAP if I can go into uni and allow for at least 3 hours travel to get there and back. I hate it when this happens =/

Runninggirl85: How are you doing today? I did look into getting the Murina IUD but apparently they prefer to only use it on women who have had children, as it's easier to insert. I still have the referral so maybe I'll look into that. I know what you mean about Yasmin, it didn't seem to agree with me either. My other option is to take Microlut, the mini pill. The catch is I have to take double to ensure it will work! More tablets...

LJ Bain: I love it! "when things get rough you have to hang on until the scenery changes"

Chaz1: You're right, I'll ask the doc if the side effects tend to settle down or if its worth trying something else.

MuayThaiFighter: Hello and thanks for your well wishes. I notice you live in Nebraska! I'm from Australia, tell me something interesting about your part of the world =)

I did look into getting the Mirena IUD but apparently they prefer to only use it on women who have had children, as it's easier to insert.
I've never had children. I just had a Mirena IUD put in to replace the non-hormonal Paraguard IUD I'd had for the prior 12 years. (Though there were no obvious signs of it, 12 years is considered the "expiration date" for the Paraguard). Both times were relatively easy procedures, and there were no objections from the nurse practitioners doing it. You might find this of interest: http://parlourmagazine.com/2011/05/beyond-the-pill-iud-use-rising-in-the-u-s/

I took depo for at least 12 years, longer I think. This was before I had epilepsy and after I was diagnosed, which was about 10 years ago.

I never had any problems with it. The main reason I started taking it was because of the PMS that I was having. Even while on the pill I'd have cramps like you couldn't believe and I even have spotting during the month. I started the depo just to stop all this from going on. I had a hysterectomy almost a year ago (at the age of 35) because I knew I didn't want to have children. Plus if I did end up pregnant I'd have to stop taking some of my meds and I didn't know what would happen if I did this.

Stress is a HUGE seizure trigger for me. If there is something stressfull going on my husband and I basically just sit and wait for that seizure to get here.

After I have a seizure I generally fall asleep for hours and then sleep pretty much the whole day after.

I can't handle kids. I don't know if it's because of the keppra side effects or not, but we try to stay away from places or events that there are going to be kids at.

Hope the psych appt goes good. Alot of times it feels good to just get it all out.

My nephew's wife has a heart problem of some sort that started as a result of her using that depro. Everyone is different though and I don't know any of the particulars. Never hurts to ask, anyway.

Speaking of Australia, I actually got to meet two people from Melbourne, I don't know if I spelled that correctly. They are dorm mates with my younger cousin. Your country sounds so interesting and they were really fun people to talk to. I realized we are all so similar, yet our cultures can make us so different. Quite the paradox.

I hope that you feel better soon and things start to calm down. Any chance of taking some of your courses online?

i get it also and i noticed my depression is worse, im scared to come off it because i think its what actually stoped my sezures for now..

can i ask you? do u have mega headaches and tiredness from it?

hey wobblez sorry ur not doing well must be in the air if ur sexually active i would just get on birth control don't need extra stress bring on seizures.

Wobblez, I have a mirena implant, and the reason I was told they don't like to give it to women without children is that you have a greater chance of an ectopic pregnancy, which often results in a hysterectomy. I've had it for 18 months. I had to go off Yasmin and have it implanted because Yasmin, because some seizure meds react with it the same way antibiotics do.

I hope you perk up soon. I think it's been a rough month for most people. I've personally been feeling so down, I'm going to have my lexapro increased.

I'm not sure what you are studying at Uni, but is online study an option? I've been doing a uni preparation course online and I love it. I know it takes out the social aspect, but it also reduces the stress of having to be somewhere. I attended a lecture this morning in my pjs and dressing gown. :)

Remember to breathe, and remember to find at least 3 positive things about each day. I'm sure you have done cognitive behavioural therapy before, since you said you're prone to depression, so just keep remembering it. As down as I am at the moment (I'm not in the hole yet, but I know it's just half a step away) I am making sure I enjoy something everyday. Lately it has been my finches. I have a pair that are nesting and I am loving watching them build it.

Step by step hun, minute by minute.

Nakamova: thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Valeriedl: it may not be your keppra that causes you to not handle kids, many people can't!

Elsie: your nephew's wife's condition doesn't sound very good =( I hope its under control.

MuayThaiFighter: You did spell it right and yes, we are an interesting bunch, especially over in WA. We are obviously the coolest of all Australians =)

Huskymom: I'm taking my course on campus but luckily I only have classes on wednesdays and thursdays. I didn't go to uni yesterday but I'm here now and I've just listened to the lecture that I missed, online =) It makes it a lot easier!

HandofBlood: I have been really tired lately! Headaches have been a little more frequent but its mainly the fatigue!!

ACPollard: Assuming by birth control you mean one of the pills, I can't take the eostrogen based ones because they reduce the efficacy of my Lamictal and visa versa. My only other option is the progresterone only pills which I may try next.

Maidenminx: Sorry to hear you're struggling too. When are your baby finches due? I have done CBT before and as i'm studying a double major in Psychology and Counselling I have no excuse not to use my skills =) It is great knowing a bit more about how our minds work and how to monitor our moods. How are you feeling today?

Phew...I feel very loved with all of those replies thanks guys =)

Back
Top Bottom