Feeling really good after a tonic clonic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bluelammy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,this post might seem a bit strange :woot:but i feel i've got to share this with you so lets get started.Nearly all my seizures happen when i'm asleep in bed at night and in the morning after having a seizure i usually wake up feeling terrible.:paperbag:But every now and again i wake up feeling really good, like i could take on the world,full of life on a real high.:banana:this high can last for a few days.These highs began to play on my mind,not really understanding why i should feel like this.I mentioned these feelings to my neurologist, who wasn't surprised.The explanation he gave me was that for some epileptics having a tonic clonic seizure can be very simmilar to a person recieving electric shock therapy for deppression.I've never suffered from deppression or been treated for it.I obviously have my ups and downs like everyone else but have learnt to cope with my condition.:clap:Does anybody else feel like this after a tonic clonic?Or am i just one of the lucky few who gets some benifit from suffering from epilepsy:ponder::ponder::ponder:

:woot:

Yippee - glad to know I'm not alone. I posted a thread like this a while ago, and kinda got responses as if I'm a bit 'odd' (okay I AM, and I suppose somebody posting about being HAPPY after a sz does seem odd).

But no, I DO know exactly how you feel.

My usual response when waking up the next morning is that I feel like cr@p, and try to go through what happened and what maybe caused the sz.

But every now and again, I get these 'odd' ones where I DO wake up the next day with the feeling off 'Thank God for that sz last night - it's all over now'...with a great sense of relief following.

So, Thanks - you've made me feel 'not so odd' :banana: :roflmao:

Epilepsy is odd as well as strange ....

I've actually had several T/C's where, I thought
I was beside myself - instead of the normal
yadda, yadda, yadda - I was super-energized!
(Beat that Energizer Bunny!)

I mean I was so hyper, if you blinked, you missed
me! You might as well have nicknamed me "FLASH"
at that time. But where the heck did that come from?

And here's the weirdest part, I probably could have
out-talked the fastest talking Auctioneer! People were
telling me to (well, begging...) me to slow down when
I was talking!

Hello!How'sbyy'alltoday?Ibejusta'feelin'mightyfinehere.
Andwhatchaalla'headin'outtado?I'mgonnabea'clean'in
dahouse,mowin',demyardwork,an'awldatstuff,y'allknow,
demthingsneverjust'a'stoppin'atanytime,neverending,an'
ofcourse,laundry!Gagme!

Now say all of that in about 2 seconds! HYPER! HYPER!
HYPER!

:roflmao:

Although my (ex) hubby DID pick up the phone and had
a word with the Neurologist, who didn't have that much
concern other than "it'll wear off eventually..."

:paperbag:

Wow

I'm ENVIOUS. I wish I could EVER feel that way after one of mine. Yeah for you!!!!:clap::clap::woot::woot:

I'm ENVIOUS. I wish I could EVER feel that way after one of mine. Yeah for you!

Come to think of it, it would be NICE
if this WAS the after affects of the
Tonic Clonics ALL the time!

:?

Come to think of it, it would be NICE
if this WAS the after affects of the
Tonic Clonics ALL the time!

:?

It would beat a beer - that's for sure :roflmao:

I just feel like life's a blast when I've had that occasional occurence....a strange kind of 'happy high' without leaving this world on a drug-substance of any illegal kind.

I've had a few of those " happy" Tonic/clonic seizures, but mine occurred during the day. When I was going thru a bad depression and was seeing a neuropsychiatrist, he actually said to me once that maybe I needed to have a seizure so I would feel better, since none of the anti-depressants at the time were working for me.

Cindy

This is funny. I told my husband I kinda liked having the clonic seizures. It's almost like it's something I'd like to go through if "it" gives me a little time after that I go seizure free. So far, I have a month or so seizure free if I have one of those and I like it a lot. I feel real good the next day, too. Almost like I drank one of those energy drinks.

I would get up like I have to do this or that take care of my son. I'm sure my face showed it. Then bam! I move. My head just felt like it fell off my body. bam! right on to the floor!. Ouch! Then all the nice extra energy disapates into thin air and I softly oop! I said softly fall asleep.For a long long time. lol

It's been 33 days since I had the last big seizure and I expect I'm in for another soon now. [But I'll probably but go through a tough time while it happens]. Both times I've been in SE, and neither me or my husband knew exactly that it was and he didn't take me to the hospital because I didn't want him to. If it happens that way again, he's going to get me there asap.

It sounds like you come out of a seizure feeling like you have to be in a hurry to get up and do things. Wouldn't it be great to be a fly on the wall?

Hey, I have to celebrate again! I'm working on day 33 since my last seizure. It's almost fun for this to happen. How stupid is that?

:O i wish i felt like that! your so luckY! i cry immediatley after ive had one (N) and then sleep for the next day or two solid, no extra energy, none at all! i can barley drag my feet to the bathroom aha xx

I cry to , only because I'm angry.Except years ago I was in a classroom volunteering and I was angry and I woke up and said s**t! I didn't know till later. I guess I made some little ones laugh though. lol That was like 15 years ago.I wonder if they still remember it.

High before/after seizure

Hi everyone,this post might seem a bit strange :woot:but i feel i've got to share this with you so lets get started.Nearly all my seizures happen when i'm asleep in bed at night and in the morning after having a seizure i usually wake up feeling terrible.:paperbag:But every now and again i wake up feeling really good, like i could take on the world,full of life on a real high.:banana:this high can last for a few days.These highs began to play on my mind,not really understanding why i should feel like this.I mentioned these feelings to my neurologist, who wasn't surprised.The explanation he gave me was that for some epileptics having a tonic clonic seizure can be very simmilar to a person recieving electric shock therapy for deppression.I've never suffered from deppression or been treated for it.I obviously have my ups and downs like everyone else but have learnt to cope with my condition.:clap:Does anybody else feel like this after a tonic clonic?Or am i just one of the lucky few who gets some benifit from suffering from epilepsy:ponder::ponder::ponder:

Sometimes I get REAL hyper before a CP/PC blend of seizure.

WEIRD.

I "LIKE" tonic/clonic because like EST I lose memories of the past. I do not suffer from depression, but PTSD, and memory loss helps with this. Memory loss does not bother ME but it bugs the :soap: out of "outsiders" of my head.

I repeat things and forget things. A wee bit frustrating, however, memory loss of bad things is good for me.

Can't control the seizing at the time, but DEEP sleep afterwards. When I wake up, I have memory loss and lots of times loss of physical abilities.

Thanks for listening.:rock:

That is really interesting. I get energy right before a seizure. A t/c . It's because I have them mostly durring my menses now. So I will be exhausted before hand and during. And then just when I think things are better Bam! I get all this energy, I'm singing and cleaning the house and I sit down and I know why.And take it easy on the couch.I usually have a t/c within 24 hours. Sometimes I don't .But I love the energy.I do suffer from some depression. When I am out and about doing my advocating, I am fine. If I stay in I get down , I need to be doing something that is helping myself and my son.

I never asked my husband how he felt about this. I never told him how I do. I really think it would bother him to think I would like to have a seizure. He has never understood epilepsy in the first place and doesn't want to. I married a jerk. I need to go to the Padded Room now.

Well Hon, if it makes you feel more compfy, I married a jerk to. I'm just not with him any more. And he has epilepsy!

That makes sense to me! I had a pretty big tonic clonic last week, and the next day and for days after, even now, have just felt almost refreshed by it...I thought it was because it made my decision to focus on my art for awhile and not take this new and not-so-inspiring job as result, but it could also be related to the electrical stimulation to the brain,,,interesting :)

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced a tonic clonic, but the seizures that were occurring in my sleep definitely had me waking up with that relaxed, warm and toasty, stretch-your-arms-and-yawn, not-a-care-in-the-world, well-rested feeling. That's why I miss having seizures...I often felt better after having one.

Just curious though...would one episode of night-time urinary incontinence be indicative of a tonic clonic? It only happened one time, but still, I wonder? I did have a seizure that night for sure because I woke up that morning confused, a hallmark post-seizure symptom for me.

Back
Top Bottom