Finding suitable daycare for your child with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

babs0217

New
Reaction score
Hi it's been awhile since my last post or since I've been on here things have been really busy with my Lauralee. Her seizure activity has really picked up so we've been spending lots of time with doctors. I'm having a very difficult time finding daycare for her so that I may work. Most daycares run scared as soon as they hear the word epilepsy come from my mouth. Which doesn't even give me time to explain all the behavior problems I'm having. Since Lauralee has been on meds her behavior has gotten quite uncontrolable. She's becoming very aggressive I've spoken to the nero about this and his recomendation was to take her to a pyschatrist (sorry I know I killed that word). He aggressive behavior comes out in the form of pinching, kicking, hitting, pushing, sometimes spitting and most recently alot of biting. The school tested Lauralee and her IQ score is to points higher the it needs to be to qualify for an all day all year school program. I'm a single mom and I have to work. However my little lauralee has been literally kicked out daycares when I can get them to take her. They can't handle her behaviors. The pysch. doctor says he thinks we could try behave meds they problem with that is that most of the behavior meds he would recommend she has all ready been on to help control seizures. So now we get to play the balancing game of making sure the seizure meds are at the highest dose possible before adding the behavior med because sometimes the behavior med can actually cancel out the seizure med which can lead to more seizures. I know that I'm not the only parent out there who needs to be able to work and has a child with the problems lauralee has. I don't know if there is anyone on here from lansing that might have a resource or if anyone might know of a national resource to find childcare that is suitable. I've tried the office of young children here and the only special needs daycare they have is located to far from my home. Thanks and Hope everyone has a great day! :-(

Hi babs, I don't know how you might find a suitable daycare for Lauralee. I've never had to address this issue before.

Have you tried contacting your local EFA chapter to see if they have any recommendations?

Been there!

If you are a single mom, one option would be to check with your states disability programs for children. I worked my entire life until last April when i came home to take care of Jessica. It was getting harder and harder to find someone i could trust to attend to her special needs. There were several specialty daycares with RN's etc as part of the care staff which would have been perfect, but it would have cost me almost 1500.00 a month - I am married and therefore don't qualify for any state assistance, especially when working full time. But being a single parent you would qualify for a lot more and that may be another option - look for the specialty daycares, most work with state agencies and go from there. Also, here in Oregon we have what is called Education Service District which covers a lot of services, but a big one is that during normal school year they open a class for special needs children starting at age 3 and Jess goes 2 times a week for that. Their is quite a bit out there for children w/ disablities. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom