first day with my diagnosis: Occipital seizures with palinopsia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rickyray9

New
Reaction score
hello all this is my first post! I got serotonin syndrome back in February from tramadol, and since then I've had weird visual images and tons of migraines. It wasn't until today that I heard from my Neurologist that the EEG I took the other day showed lots of seizure spikes in my occipital lobe, which is what she believes is causing my palinopsia.
she is putting me on topiramate/topomax, but when I google "topiramate for palinopsia," all I get are links that say "topiramate induced palinopsia" and I have yet to see a case where it was prescribed for it.
is anyone aware of any success stories that can ease my mind? i have terrible anxiety about taking meds.

Hi rickyray9, welcome to CWE!

I've seen articles referencing Tegretol as a successful treatment for palinopsia (as well as the ones mentioning Topomax as a cause). Definitely worth discussing with your neurologist -- I would think that Tegretol would be the better choice.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi and welcome,

I hope you find the meds.
I have absence seizures and my new Neur. wanted me off Dilantin so she tried topiramate back on Oct. of 2011. Three days later (for the 1st. time in my life) I started having seizures back to back they would not stop. Husband got me to the ER and they told me it was the meds. Topiramate that I needed to call my Neur.

I forgot to mention they. 1st. checked my heart.

Now, after saying all this, each person reacts diff. to the diff. meds.

Back
Top Bottom