Flashing lights

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

summerf

New
Reaction score
I'm not photosensitive - no seizure reaction at all on my EEGs to lights. However, I feel weird/sick/dizzy when there are flashing lights, and I have to look away or close my eyes. Same thing when I see things like carousels or other fair rides that go in circles. I don't ride any of them because they make me sick, but I can't even watch my kids ride them.

Are these things related to epilepsy, or are these things just related to general motion sickness? Sometimes I have a hard time knowing what's what in my life. :)

Hard to know for sure. Light sensitivity can also be a problem for folks who get migraines, so even without it being a seizure trigger, it could lie on a spectrum of "irritants" to your brain and body.

It could indicate a heightened sensitivity that may or may not develop into epilepsy. Prior to my first seizures I would get occasional migraine aura (but no headache) in response to flashing or dappled lights. Since developing epilepsy though, I haven't experienced that kind of aura at all, which makes me think that the light sensitivity may have been a "precursor" stage.

Back
Top Bottom