Flu Season

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
I've been feeling icky the last 2 weeks, progressively getting worse. Today it is awful. Headache, dizzy, nausea, shaky, weak legs, post nasal drip, dry little cough at night. No fever.

My PCP says it's a long case of the flu. It should have only lasted 3-5 days but mine is lasting much longer for some reason.

I woke up with a wicked aura this morning. Almost like I had missed a dose or two of Lamictal.

Fun Flu Questions:

• Other than the things we all do, like staying really hydrated, taking supplements, and resting, is there anything else you do to minimize the effect of the flu on your seizures?
  • Does the flu affect how AEDs are metabolized?
  • Are there ANY decongestant/antihistamine/cough medicines that don't interact with our AED's? (I can't take sudafed or benedryl with my AEDs)

I am better off not taking any cold or flu med at all because of all the interactions I have with them.

If I am congested and have a runny nose, I usually use a neti-pot to get rid of the mucous in my sinuses and throat.

Junebug

Does the neti-pot really work that well? My mother has been all over my case to get one after this last cold that I've had (it's been 3 weeks long), but my sinuses are so messed up, I just am not convinced.

As for cold meds, I try to limit what I use. I stick with Mucinex, and some Alka-Seltzer when I have to. If I ABSOLUTELY have to have anything else, I'll use Vicks. But that's only if I plan on sleeping for days on end.

Neti pots are good. I use a bulb, and it works better for me.

If your sinuses are screwed up, you can get that fixed. :)

Yes! The Neti pot is like giving your sinuses a shower or a 'rinse-out'. I started using the pot and then decided to start using the bulb. The bulb is better because it gives your sinuses some force compared to the pot.

I actually had a nurse practitioner advise me to use the neti pot since because of the interactions I have had in the past. Because the Neti pot is homeopathic, there are rarely any interactions.

Back
Top Bottom