Flu Shot!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Suzanne H

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone has had any bad reactions from the flu shot. My husband has it every year but this is the first time he's had seizures so is it safe to get? He's been seizure free for almost 3 months now with no seizure meds and he's having tests done on his heart in early November so I don't want anything to rock the boat, so to speak. But he'd like to get the flu shot as he'll be in the hospital for 2 days and we want him to be safe.

Has anyone had a seizure after the flu shot?

Thanks,
Sue

I got the Flu shot about a month ago, I felt like I was going to have a seizure for a day and a half. I got a shingle shot one week after the flu shot and I had 2 seizures the following day.

I feel This is better for me, than getting the flu or the shingles (again) because I'm very sentitive to most meds. I can not even take Tylenol.

I didn't have a seizure after mine but I did get a skin infection, Cellulitis. It was from the new needle they came out with. Had to go see my doctor and he put me on antibiotics. He said it's not from the vaccination itself, just from when they poke you, it opens the skin and bacteria can get in. I got mine at work. My doctors office won't even give out the new shot due to things like that. It's not something that happens all the time. Get the regular needle & it should be fine.

I do not know if it is related, but my 15-year old son did have 3 seizures a couple of days after getting flu shot. Doctors all said it's a coincidence but I don't know. I've been doing lots of searching around the web and there seems to be quite a bit out there on this. However, I have no medical knowledge and don't want to imply that we know the flu shot was the cause.

I do not know if it is related, but my 15-year old son did have 3 seizures a couple of days after getting flu shot. Doctors all said it's a coincidence but I don't know. I've been doing lots of searching around the web and there seems to be quite a bit out there on this. However, I have no medical knowledge and don't want to imply that we know the flu shot was the cause.

When I got the flu shot I felt like I was going to have a seizure all day, but I didn't. I week later I got the shingle shot and had 2 seizures.

Even going thru this, for me it's the better of the two, cause when I get sick I have more seizures and when I'm given antib.. I again have more seizures.

Plus -- just the one day after the shot is better than several days with the flu or the several days on an antib.

Back
Top Bottom