'Foaming' at the mouth?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
I often see this on TV shows... even just read it in a post... but no one has ever told me I was 'foaming at the mouth' during a TC... every TC video I've seen, I see no 'foam'.... I might see some spit or saliva where you're biting the hell out of my tongue but as far as the tv/movie idea of 'foam', (as if you were a rabid dog).... is that the case? Maybe I'm just in the dark, here. Luckily, as well, I typically odn't lose bladder control during seizures...

I seen enough T/C to comment on this, rarely big time foam, but saliva definitely pushed out especially post-itcal phase, stertorous breathing, yes can be little foamy, but not like that of white foam of someone who is poisoned (movies) or a rabid dog, not at all. My Sons pillow does be wet from saliva. No bladder loss either.

I've been told several times during a T/C that I had saliva coming from my mouth. I do remember my blouse being all wet around the neck area. Once when I had a T/C in the middle of the night my spouse at the time said I lost control of my bladder.

me: "foaming" (stertorous type) sometimes (sleep seizures usually/wet pillow/drool)
and only once so far wet the bed

think i was for my original seizure and status, but from what i hear now it is just spit.

also i get to wet myself now and then..

..show me a 'normal' person that can do a faceplant onto pavement in front of random strangers, seize and break bones or crack their head, wet themselves, then has the mental cojones to put it behind them and face a new day.

Last edited:
Actually, foaming at the mouth is a relatively rare symptom of a seizure and the majority people who have a seizure do not show this symptom at all. (A little drooling is more common.)

When it does occur, the foaming is caused by the combo of saliva and rapid breathing. The fast moving air aerates the saliva to create foam.

Back
Top Bottom