Focal Motor Seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have had problems with my arms and legs for the past six months. Constant pain, numbness, tingling, strange sensations, temperature sensitivity, problems walking and using my arms and legs. I have had several tests and no one could tell me what was wrong. This past weekend I had an ambulatory EEG and expected that nothing would come of this either. Yesterday my Neurologist called and said he reviewed the EEG and saw that I was having Focal Motor Seizures and put me on Keppra. He did not give me any more information and I cannot find much on the internet. Are my symptoms because of the seizures or is there something else still going on. I feel so lost and confused right now. If anyone else has had these symptoms or can tell me anything it would be greatly appreciated.

They could be a form of simple complex seizures by the way you describe it. They manifest themselves differently in folks, so it is difficult to diagnose. For more info:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

Motor seizures:

These cause a change in muscle activity. For example, a person may have abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body. These movements may spread, either staying on one side of the body (opposite the affected area of the brain) or extending to both sides. Other examples are weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or automatic hand movements. The person may or may not be aware of these movements.

Sensory seizures:

These cause changes in any one of the senses. People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness. Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

I get all the following with my seizures. ( I highlited in bold what I get)
My seizures start out with a feeling that I just dont feel right, kind of like im going in slow motion. Then comes my left hand and foot feeling like pins and needles are attacking it. The feeling of the pins and needles spreads up my entire left side of my body and goes to my face, where it feels like its attacking the roof of my mouth. My heart begins to race, my stomach feels like I have to puke, I get a really sad feeling that overcomes me, and my body stiffens and jerks. When I first started having these kind of seizures the jerking would mostly be on my right side, but the more i had them through out the VEEG, the more the jerking spread to my left side too. I can hear what people are sayign to me during the seizure, but due to the seizure over coming by body, I have to wait til after the seizure is over to respond. After the seizure, I am very tired, and sore. My body feels heavy and feels like weights are on me. My head hurts and I just want to close my eyes.

Motor seizures:

These cause a change in muscle activity. For example, a person may have abnormal movements such as jerking of a finger or stiffening of part of the body. These movements may spread, either staying on one side of the body (opposite the affected area of the brain) or extending to both sides. Other examples are weakness, which can even affect speech, and coordinated actions such as laughter or automatic hand movements. The person may or may not be aware of these movements.

Sensory seizures:

These cause changes in any one of the senses. People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness. Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space. They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people). They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom