"fourth-wall" aura

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
Maybe there's another term better for it.

Do any of you get a "fourth-wall" type of aura/simple partial/phenomenon?
("the fourth-wall" is the theater term for where the audience is in relation to the stage - and the actors on stage are usually oblivious to the audience, considering the audience just another wall, fourth-wall - you probably already know this but just for clarity)

I suppose it could be related to paranoia, but it's not really associated with fear, but it's a phenomenon where suddenly it feels like I'm in a created scenario, where my actions are being observed, or studied, or examined, or sometimes it feels like I'm undergoing some sort of spy training or something, to see how normal I can react in situations, for training as like, some sort of secret agent.
Maybe it's a similarity to an "alien abduction" type of hallucination that can be associated with types of partial seizures.
I doubt I'm undergoing training as a secret agent.:ponder:
But there is definitely an observer/observee phenomenon.

A good analogy might be where it's seen in some movies there are two spies who are coming from different directions, who are going to surreptitiously exchange info - ex. one has a microfilm and is supposed to palm it to the other as they walk past and bump each other in a crowded public area. I get a feeling of anticipation and rush, like "it's happening!", and it feels like I'm supposed to do something (i.e. palm the microfilm), but I have no idea what that THING IS. Eventually the feeling diminishes, in a variety of time spans. It feels like I'm supposed to recognize someone, like I'm supposed to know someone for some reason.

I do need more sleep...
Since there are many similar phenomenon, even related to sleep, like sleep paralysis, I just assume these things are partial seizures or something. I do stay aware during these periods. I don't know - I've never been "diagnosed" with simple partials or anything - I've always assumed tonic-clonics were my repertoire so to speak.

Hey pete -- love the "Krazy Kat" avatar!

I haven't experienced what you describe, but I could see how it would qualify as a simple partial, under the category of "psychic auras". These include emotional symptoms (both good and bad), as well as feelings of "forced thoughts" and out of body experiences.

thanks Nak!
I had found info on psychic seizures previously when I'd started to narrow down my definition of what this type of phenomenon was. It takes a while for me to step out of the aura and process the experience objectively I guess. The processing time has gotten shorter at least, so I'm able to 'neutralize' the experiences. I guess I'm adapting.

Back
Top Bottom