G.A.R.D. diet shopping list??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CuHead - My sister lived with her family in Vienna. Beautiful place. She was a K teacher at a school in Fairfax. They recently moved south to some lake property. Can't wait to visit again.

I agree, Farmers Markets are wonderful places to find wholesome food. We have a few great choice here in SoCA. Buying local is a great way to know what you are putting in your mouth. I just like the one stop shopping I can find at Whole Foods.

Hey RobiN Have you been to that big Farmer's Market in Riverside? I used to love that place. Every time we went down to San Diego for my son's surgeries we'd load the car coming back. I used to get the 18 ct flats of fresh eggs and everyone was a double yolk. We haven't been there in years.

if you like pasta you might buy Tinkyada pasta joy its made from whole grain & is kosher certified wheat free/Gluten-free brown rice pasta.... my family hasnt noticed the change i made from reg pasta to this kind.. it taste good.

I fix lundberg wehani whole grain brown rice its also gluten free

naturewell natural beefit has no gmo's but the cows are corn-fed so i dont know about that one :eek::lol:

Grass Fed Organic Buffalo is good and my family likes it they cant really tell the difference....

most everything i buy is organic when i can I dont like eating or feading gmos to my kids

love angel

Thanks for the info on the brown rice pasta!

Hey RobiN Have you been to that big Farmer's Market in Riverside? I used to love that place. Every time we went down to San Diego for my son's surgeries we'd load the car coming back. I used to get the 18 ct flats of fresh eggs and everyone was a double yolk. We haven't been there in years.

Sorry, just saw this ... Riverside is about an hour or more from where I live. I prefer to go down the street to the local FM on Wednesday afternoons. There are other FM on other days within a 5 mile radius. My Whole Foods is right down the street as well. Makes shopping a treat.

hey there, im also starting this diet, and it will be tomorrow when i start it, ive spend since yesterday morningish looking through diets here...im only getting some basic things to last me about 3 days until I can get more ideas and things.

I wrote down all that MSG stuff, i was getting confused between this diet and the ketogenic, i thought i was on for the ketogenic but then i just looked it up and it was actually this diet i had written things down for *sigh.. confusion confusion and not even yet in the grocery store.

Let me know how its working for you, I REALLy am bad with self control .. though im not relaly into food or a big eater... caffiene has to go .. that will be hard.

You can do it. Think health whenever you lack self control. Ask yourself what will create an environment of health, so that healing can occur. None of the bad food matters any more.
Also, know that you will make mistakes in the beginning. Don't think of it as failure, just remind yourself you are learning new habits and that will take some time. Give yourself a lot of positive pep talks and be proud that you are making a move in a direction of self empowerment.

We are here to cheer you on. Now go enjoy all the wonderful new foods that you have yet to try.

Really, to

tell you the truth, even though it is a restrictive diet, once you wrap your mind around it, it's REALLY not that bad. You just have to learn to be a bit creative. That's all. :)

Non-Gluten flours

Here are some flours to work with: Potato starch, tapioca, rice, amaranth, and rice.

I would recommend that you cut back on grains. It should not be the greatest % of your diet as the FDA nutritional pyramid says.

Just saying.....

Having been on the GARD for 2+ years, here's my 2 cents.

I would personally stay away from any gluten-free products; in order to make them have decent texture/decent taste, they add things that are not good for you. Zanthan Gum comes to mind on this. Google it and see what it's made from! Shocked me, since it's one of my triggers.

You need to be careful as to how much of the non-gluten flours you use; rice, which is restricted in the GARD, can be too much when used as a flour product. Brown rice, which is on the diet in small quantities, comes in flour also. I couldn't tolerate it. Each one needs to see how these non-gluten flours affects them.

Robin's idea is best: just learn to live without the flour products. As my doc says, you don't need them in your diet at all.

GARD diet

Ok, I get that but, fruits and vegtable cannot be the staple some grains (usually one serving a day) are needed since meat is so high in Glutamine. My sample menu includes eggs, potatoes, and 1 meat a day (chicken or lamb) along with 5 servings of fruits/vegtables. I just do not know how to eliminate the rice and keep a good variety. We have been GF/CF for years but, getting the low Glutamate is hard when you take out the corn. Any extra ideas are appreciated.

Thank you.:ponder:

Kimberly - I just saw this post, and was wondering if you have tried recipes that use quinoa? It is a very good ...it is not a grain, but I am not yet sure how to label it. I have read it is a legume, however it certainly acts like a grain. It is a nice staple to use. I think it is important to use a variety of carbs.

I also wanted to share this article on the benifits and possible importance of adding probiotics to your daily supplements:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/2210...-Reduce-Symptoms-of-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

Back
Top Bottom