Gabapentin half life

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

masterjen

New
Reaction score
I have recently been prescribed gabapentin as an add-on medication to be taken only at night in an attempt to further control nocturnal seizures. I looked up its half life and it is 5-7 hours. Does this imply that by 10-14 hours most its effects (both the beneficial and negative side effects) would be out of system?

Hi masterjen.

From what I have learned gabapentin (Neurontin) lasts for 5-7 hrs. in a persons body and 50% of it is gone.
I was on it for a short time but it didn't work well for me it made my seizures status
and then I found out watching NBC Dateline that the drug can cause seizures for people
who never had them. The drug co. also has a $240 million class action lawsuit against them for selling the drug off market for other matters like back pain, headaches, etc.
I hope the drug works well for you but if you see any changes in your seizures for the worse get off the drug a.s.a.p. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

In general, half-life refers to the time it takes for the amount of drug present in the system to be reduced by 50%. So if the amount of Gabapentin in your blood serum was 8 at its peak (to pick a random number) then after 5 to 7 hours the level would be 4 and after another 5 to 7 hours the level would be 2, and after another 5 to 7 hours the level would be 1, and so on. So technically it might not be completely out of your system until at least 20 hours have elapsed. However, it might be at a "subtherapeutic" level long before then. It depends on your starting dose as well as how sensitive you are to even small levels of the medication.

The half-life is relatively short (similar to Keppra's), which means that you might need to be more careful about not missing a dosing time. Everyone's metabolism is different of course, so it's also possible that the half-life in your particular experience might be somewhat briefer or longer than the 5 to 7 hours.

Thank you both for your replies. Nakamova, if I understood your explanation then it would be the case that a higher bedtime dose means more of the drug would be in my system at, for example, 8-10 hours than a lower dose (and therefore have a somewhat "extended" effect(?)

That's correct to a certain extent, but you have to factor in how it's absorbed: Gabapentin's peak plasma level is two to four hours after dosing. And its bioavailability is inversely proportional to dose, which means the lower the dose, the greater the percentage of the active ingredient that is available for your system to use. So a dose of 900mg/day has a 60% bioavailability, but a dose of 3600mg/day only has a bioavailability of 33%.

It also depends on what your therapeutic level is. If you need your serum level to be a "6" to be effective, then it doesn't matter whether it's at 4 or at 2 after 8 hours.

I've recently been prescribed Garbapentin as an add on as well. I have nocturnal seizures and my neuro wants me to take it 3x a day. I'm a bit scared to start taking it especially as it was a drug I had already said I didn't want to try. Please can you tell me how you are getting on with it and if you've had any side effects. Thanks x

Hi, Greenspoon;

As I'm sure you're well aware everyone responds differently to the various seizure medications. Gabapentin can be a great medication for many people.

My own experience with it was not a positive one, and after 3 months I had to stop the medication. It did not improve nocturnal seizure control, and caused very uncomfortable parasthesia. I have peripheral neuropathy anyway, and this may have been why I felt the parasthesia (a possible side effect of gabapentin) so intensely.

One thing to consider is ramping up on the dose much more slowly than the so-called "standard" speed if side effects are your concern about taking it. Generally the more slowly one titrates onto a medication, the less likely there will be problematic side effects.

I took Gabapentin/Neurontin a long time ago. My neurologist prescribed it as an add-on to Dilantin to help control my simple partial seizures(those were the only type I had then). Because it didn't help much, it was dropped after a while.

Back
Top Bottom