generic carbatrol

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

waderer

New
Reaction score
Is there now, or are they working on a generic form of Carbatol as the drug is extremely expensive? I have read that the first copy-write is to expire at earliest July, 2011. Has anybody else heard this?

Thank you in advance.

Didn't someone say Carbatrol is Tegretol?

If so Tegretol has had a generic carbamazapine out for decades that I've been on.

Here's an explanation:

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/carbatrol/generic-carbatrol.html

Is Carbamazepine a Generic Carbatrol?
No -- carbamazepine is the active ingredient in Carbatrol (and several other products), but it is not a generic version of it. What can be confusing is that, oftentimes, the active ingredient of a drug is referred to as the "generic name." The generic name is different from a generic version of a medicine. In order for there to be a generic version of a medicine, the original medicine must have gone off-patent and another company besides the original manufacturer must make the product.

Hmmmm.... not sure what that really means to the drug and it's effectiveness, when you boil it all down.

That's

funny then. Why do so many members get generics CALLED Carbamazepine? The author is partially right in their statement about the patent.....

The upshot is that yes, there is a generic version of carbatrol, carbamazepine, tegretol, what-have-you. And it should be cheaper than the brand-name versions.

The generics can be tricky if you're sensitive to small fluctuations in dosage, since they can vary by significant amounts in the amount of active ingredient. I'm doing fine on a generic version of lamictal, but for some folks the generics are just too problematic.

Carbamazepine/Carbatrol/Tegretol

Carbamazepine is the active ingredient in all. How it is delivered is what is different, from what I have read. My doctor prefers Carbatrol, which is a time-release capsule form. However, now that there is a generic time-release version (Generic for Carbatrol), my co-pay is twice what it was. I called my dr.'s office to find out why he doesn't want me to use the generic, and the nurse said he wrote that it does not release as consistently as the brand name version (Carbatrol), so I would be more likely to have a seizure. I am thinking of getting a second opinion, since it is a very large increase in how much I pay each month for medicine.

I know how expensive Carbatrol can be. I was on it for over 12 years. I cant recall what my parents were paying for it, but when I got married almost 8 years ago, I was put onto my husband's insurance through the state.

It was cheaper for us getting 6 month supplies rather than getting refills each month. But with my husband's insurance, we were paying $150 for a 6 month supple of Carbatrol. Now I was on the Carbatrol ER. The medication looked like this pic.....

imagesCAC658Z8.jpg

I used that for the past 12 years, and then had my VEEG and was told since I couldnt produce a grand mal, that I didnt need it along with the Keppra XR I was on too. Ive been put back on the Keppra XR. My dr kept me on the Carbatrol ER all those years because he said it wouldnt be as risky for me since it was an ER version, which stays in my body longer, and not go up and down like the others. Made me seizure control great! :)

Jen,

If your looking for a less expensive version you might try Tegretol XR, still an extended release version and also a brand name.

My Neuro refuses to prescribe regular Tegretol or it's generic carbamazepine because the level fluctuates too much.

Jake

The generic is OUT!! I just picked up my first refill at Walmart. It is made by Nostrum NDC29033-004-12 this is the extended Release capsule in the 300mg dose. It cost me around $15.00 BIG price difference over the brand.

Been taking it three days now, seems no different then the brand.:woot::clap:

Back
Top Bottom