generic vs. name brand

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pita300

New
Reaction score
This is a delima I've been wrestling with lately. I'm taking Tegretol XR and have been forever. I took the generic when it first came on the market in the US. I expierenced an aura shortly after begining it. Now I've been thinking of trying To convince my epileptolgist that I want to try it again. I'm tired of paying the premium For the name brand. I currently work from home and do not drive. What do you think? think its worth another try or should I leave well enough alone

I recently took generic with auras and breakthrough seizures. Name brand worked significantly better. Facing the fact that meds are currently not working for me- I would advise to stay with what works. Having problems is a nighymare as you know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've had doctors tell me that the name brand always works better, must be something in it that generics don't have but I can't afford to pay for meds and my insurance won't pay if meds are too expensive.

I have only had minor problems taking generic brand, but it has been so long since I have taken the name brand that maybe the meds are just not working for me. And I also cannot afford to pay for medication and contacted my insurance company asking if they would make an acception. Of course not. Make them spend more money on someones health.

I have never tried the generics in any seizure medication before. But I did consider trying the generic of Keppra last year. But after having a talk with my drs nurse, she said it was up to me. I chose to spend alittle more money and keep the brand name. For me, Id rather spend more and be seizure free, than spend less and have seizures.

Generics work fine for me. Everyone's different though -- if you want to try it, hope for the best, but be aware of the risks.

The big change in generic can be how your body metabolizes the drug. Keppra and generic Keppra are 95 to 96% the same. I keep with name brand because with my insurance the generic cost is almost the same. If I were to change I would try to go 1/4 generic and 3/4 brand for a week and then 1/2 and 1/2 for another week then 3/4 and 1/4 for a week. Then after that go full generic so I can give my body a good chance at making the change.

Personally I am terrified to make any change since for now it has been working.

Back
Top Bottom