getting meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thank you for that Ruth, and I do take Lamotrigine, but it's from a different manufacturer called TEVA.

Bernard asked me to do further research.

I take Lamotrigine too.

I called my pharmacist and they said that there had been a recall. Here is what I found.

Filed under FDA, Mylan
Date: February 3, 2015

The FDA and Mylan have issued a reminder of the company's ongoing voluntary recalls for antiseizure drugs manufactured by Mylan's UDL Laboratories. The anti-seizure medicine is 3,993 cartons of Lamotrigine tablets. In both cases the drugs were produced and distributed with active ingredients not manufactured according to Good Manufacturing Practices.

Wockhardt Manufacturing had the biggest recall. They are in India.

Your pharmacist should keep track of recalls and make sure that you don't get any. I found out that my pharmacist keeps track and that made me feel better that I can ask him if any of my medicines have any current recalls.

We don't have to worry.

I found out why my pharmacist is having a hard time getting my meds refilled. I got a call from my pharmacist a little while ago and she had told me that they will only ok the refill if I call my dr and schedule my video eeg.

I don't want to though. (I know, I'm being childish about this!) But I am tired of the hospital, nurses, and drs. I also don't like having to sit there day after day waiting for a seizure to happen, and I hate being watched, even though it's for a medical reason. I've always hated having all eyes on me. I'm one of the people that just sits out of the way of everyone else to not get in anyone's way, and I have no problem sitting alone. (I have nothing interesting to talk about, and I'll forget what it was that I had been talking about!)

There is also just a 'feeling' I have about having this done which is a feeling of "why?" I have very low opinion of the idea my dr has for helping with my epilepsy, mostly due to the last idea I went with messed me up with more than epilepsy. I am content to just keep taking my meds every day. I don't want to have another surgery done.

Seizuregirl, I'm so sorry. No one should ever try to force someone to do something like that. It's abusive. It's not right. (And what meds you are on has nothing to do with a VEEG.) I'm sure you can get out of it somehow. Is it your doctor or the insurance company? Aren't you out of meds?

It's my doctor that's denying the refill. I guess you could say that's he is being childish also!

And no, I'm not out of meds, my pharmacy will give me emergency supply when need be thank goodness. It's only 2 weeks worth, but it would be enough to get me by while I convince myself to make the appointment.

I think your doctor is being unethical. I can see that he wants it, but denying care isn't right, especially for a med refill. You could get messed up for life if you had bad withdrawal seizures. A VEEG is not like a blood test or something. I'm not trying to get you mad at your doctor, I just feel bad for how you are being treated.

I had a great experience here in Rochester.

:hugs:

I know this thread is almost a month old but thought I would add my experience.

I was always having problems reaching my epi doc. Usually there is a social worker available to assist patients and I've been very successful getting a call back or a prescription after waiting several days.

Matthew74, You can't get me mad at my doctor. He is the only one to get me mad with him because of what he's doing now, and that he knows I didn't want to anything more to myself physically for my seizures.

I also don't want to do this because my Father is the one who drives me to my appointments. He's getting old and he's tired. And because of his job, he's always taking the trip down I-35 to the twin cities and other southern towns (Rochester included!) and has for the last 30-some years! But he's the only one of my family who is able to drive me to them because he can take a day off and still get paid without having to take a sick day or a vacation day. I can see the exhaustion and pain in his face and his body from having sat in his vehicle for so long when he gets back from the trips and I don't want to add any more pain to what he has now.

Last edited:
I can relate to that. My dad was the one who went with me to Houston when I was a kid. He did most of the driving me around as an adult. The last time he ever drove he was picking me up from work.

I could have one of my 3 sisters drive me down instead, but unfortunately it would be a specific sister that I would let drive me because 1 of my sisters scares the heck out of me by how she drives! (Sadly, she would try to push me into letting her drive me there, but I would like to be able to see tomorrow, and the day after that...) None of us have any idea as to how she was given a license because she really can't drive properly, and my 2nd sister gets scared driving on our city streets and refuses to go on the highway. But my 3rd sister is hardly scared of the road, whether it's icy, or wet, and has the best driving record of the 3 so she would be the pick of them. I just don't want her to bring me since she would take over appointment when my dr walked into the office, and to convince her to wait for me would be impossible!

Neurologists are supposed to consider many non-medical factors when helping a patient decide a course of treatment, what meds to take, what procedures to undergo, etc. Factors can include things like expense or access. And it certainly includes respecting the patients concerns and wishes and choices! If you can't get the neurologist to renew your prescription, then it might be worth sending a letter to any supervisors.

I know this is from 2yrs. ago, but again, I'm having trouble getting my meds again.

I am at the end of my refills with Vimpat this month and called it in when I had 9 day's left, I now have 7 days, so I went to my pharmacy today to get some info on why I haven't heard from them. And I was told by the pharmacist, that they are unable to get a hold of my dr to confirm the refills. The pharmacist is frustrated with being unable to talk with him. She had told me that they have called, faxed and e-mailed my dr. and haven't been able to confirm that they can fill it for me.

We talked with the supervisor and he agreed with keeping me on emergency supply until they can confirm with him to start the refills again. I can only hope that it'll happen on monday. And on monday, I'll be calling the neurology dept. to talk with him, unless he's on vacation, that's probably why this is happening.

Last edited:
A nurse from the neurology dept called me today and told me that this happened because my dr want's to see me 1 month earlier than we had previously scheduled. My appointment was set for October. It's now in September, and I have refills again.

Last edited:
Medical Marijuana?

Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain called super glue from ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/superglue/. Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom