Getting my son checked for seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

juzzyk

New
Reaction score
My 10 year old son has been having some visual disturbances for the last 6-9 months, during which he raises his eyes up to the ceiling then blinks them several times. He doesn't seem aware of doing this. Sometimes I'll say, 'what are you doing' and he'll be confused what I am talking about. He also says that he sees after images of things after he looks at them. (Not just bright lights but any objects) We had his eyes tested but no problems there.

Unfortunately his speech and language skills have severely regressed also. He's been having speech therapy for several years, and had been improving. When assessed a year ago had improved so much he didn't qualify for an aide anymore (was average range in many areas). He has just been reassessed and is now in the severe language disorder range again, despite therapy. The therapist is quite baffled by the regression.

He also has ADD (inattentive type) which mostly presents as day dreaminess and zoning out. More and more, since I was diagnosed with TLE 18 months ago, I've wondered if he could be having partial or absence seizures. Just the last two months his speech has markedly declined and he stammers now. I'm quite worried as I know that seizures can cause speech decline.

Anyway, we are on a waiting list for an EEG so will see how it goes. I have started taking him to a neuropsychologist to assess his memory and attention so hopefully that will give us more of an idea what is happening.

I'm really curious about the relationship between apparent attention problems and absence seizures. My son is not hyperactive, he just zones out. He'll 'come to' and then realise people have been talking to him or that the other children are working in class and he didn't realise. It's like time has skipped.

I'm trying not to think the worst and be a nervous wreck but I'm not being too successful at that! It's not fair, I would happily take on all his problems for him. He's already had kidney problems to deal with poor boy :(

Back
Top Bottom