going into hospital for a 3 day eeg - worried

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

well i have been having funny turns since august and i now am going to be admitted for a 3 day eeg as my 20 min one was normal and both the two mri scans have been normal. Well this is to decide whether it is epilepsy or non epileptic attack disorder. My biggest concern is being in the ward and being a pain in the behind. I "chat" well babble as i am dropping off to sleep and have been known to chat all night if i do not settle, complaining mostly and asking for drink etc never actually awakening. I also sleep crawl not walk, take myself to the toilet etc. I also fall out of bed occasionally as like to sleep next to a wall. When i have periods of seizures, i am often confused, not always communicative verbally but play odd games of charades, i am also forgetful, i get very anxious and seek comfort in my bf, i am worried about not having my mobile phone. I am also trying homeopathy which means i have drops which i take in water and on a very restricted diet. What should i do???

ok well that is not helpful - i am worried about being in hospital and causing a fuss and distressing other sick people who are worse off than me. I also have been known to wander, well go on searches. I just don't want to cause havoc equally i want to be well and be able to go for a walk unsupervised without worry of having a funny turn collapsing or walking out in front of a car. Any suggestions welcome by the way i am in the uk

Hi there!

It sounds like this EEG is a good step to figuring out what's going on and getting control of your life. Let the doctor and hospital staff know that you are worried about what may happen and how you might behave during your overnight stay. It's their job to monitor you and other patients, so don't fret about what you may do while you're asleep. Ask the hospital to make sure there's a note in your file so different shifts know what to expect. And ask if your boyfriend can call the hospital or visit during the three days to help put you at ease, and to make sure that everything is going okay. If there are things that help you relax -- music, books, swimming, etc. -- try and focus on them before, during, and after your stay.

Good luck! Check back on this site and let folks know how you're doing. There's lots of support here.

Honestly lovely, I'd let the nurses know what you told us here. Then, don't worry about it. You want them to see what your average night is like...that's why you're going in. It wouldn't do any good if you went in, had the best and most restful nights sleep ever, and the tests said there was nothing wrong..... Better to let nature take it's course, and to be monitored. That way, the doc can read the observations and take everthing into account when deciding on a diagnosis. (Also, don't be worried when you have an EEG that comes back normal...I've had epilepsy over 30 years..and in that entire time, only one abnormal EEG...)

Thanks for the support, It is very boring hiding in my flat all the time and only seeing only my closest friends very rarely. Hoping that this eeg will get me sorted with a diagnosis. I just see how tired my boyfriend my boyfriend is after i have a bad night, i think i just feel sorry for the others on the ward. Just a case of letting the nurses get on with the job they probably know well and have seen worse than me!

Hi lovely girl in the UK! Maybe you should try a sleep study sometime as many of your symptoms fall in line with that. The only time i had any spikes in my EEG's was a sleep deprived test (had to stay up all night then got the test at 8 30 in the morn). Apparently, no sleep causes seizures. There's a lot of research out there about sleep rythms. In fact, since this is an in-patient, maybe that possibility could be raised with the doctors while there. I had a boyfriend once who would sit up in bed and talk in his sleep, or point to things that were'nt there...he never remembered these 1-2 minute episodes, and he stressed about it soo much he became an alcoholic instead of getting medical attention. Btw: I know the not seeing people much--it's tough, and you realize who your true friends are, and how to reach out to new ones that are supportive. Like on here! -Liza

Thanks Liza

well the thing is the chatting and what not in my sleep do not bother me and if anything they are cause for hilarity the next day. But i am sure my boyfriend would appreciate a uneventful night. The thing is i sleep so much more now i have seizures, i used to be an insomniac.i am not sure i could be kept awake overnight seeing as i fall asleep quite regularly after a seizure for about 20 mins. Thanks for the advice

New Meds??

Lovely Girl--have you started new medications in the last 6-9 months? Some of the sleeptalking/walking reminds me of stories of Ambien side effects (the very popular, overprescribed sleep aid). I'm on it, but no probs.

Sleep talking and walking is rather hilarious. :roflmao: As long as there's someone there to watch you--and there's no traffic to play in. You've probably been tape recorded by now, and had your babbling played back to you the next day right--and laughed so hard you cried? But it must be hard because you aren't leaving the house much. Narcolepsy checked out negative too? They often misdx epilepsy for narcolepsy. And it could be a 1001 other conditions that cause pseudoseizures or epileptic seizures.

ok well i phoned the ward and the nurse was very kind and said they will cope!! Even better i can take my own food in and my own pillow so will not starve and should help with the sleeping. have been sleep talking walking for the last 5 years or so on a regular basis so not drug induced. Yes being recorded is hilarious!! falling down stairs not so much luckily live in a flat with bf who is light sleeper who just puts me back to bed. never been tested for narcolepsy so who knows??? will talk to consultant :)

Don't worry about the rest of the ward. The nurses are trained for us. We all do some very strange things during and after seizures. You won't be the only one making noise. There were alarms going off all the time. I took earplugs and wore a sleep mask when I needed to. I was in last Dec. for a week and the nurses were wonderful. Take whatever you need to make yourself comfortable. As for the leads, it is kinda like being on a dog chain and combined with the video monitor you won't get far. I was worried about my stay but it actually ended up being very relaxing. It was nice being catered to 24/7. If they need to keep you awake they'll find a way, believe me.

I'm originally from England, Liverpool area. Where are you?

Not sure it will be relaxing for me, i liked to be left alone and not prodded and i am hoping not to end up with circles on my head as the electrolyte stuff made me itch like mad and gave me a rash on the 24 ecg (i also took the leads off in my sleep) and i was itching in the 20 minute one. I am also very very fussy when it comes to food, but bf has promised to bring me dinner in the evenings and i am taking lots of snacks. I am a bit deaf so noises do not tend to keep me awake. The nurse has told me i can't escape even if i detach as i would have to get a nurse to buzz me out unless i go out a window! :) I am in Bristol.

Elaine H is from Northamptonshire, she has loads of great advice and knows the British health care system way better than I. Check out some of her posts. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the food, but maybe being a mother of three it was just nicer having someone else make and serve it. The best part of my stay was I took drawing supplies, I hadn't picked up a pencil in years. I sketched every day for a few hours, it was so relaxing my seizures actually stopped by the second day and I didn't have any more for 56 days. Guess I should do that at home. I was allowed to keep my cell phone and lap top which surprised me. The only condition was I could not touch them if they were being charged as to not interfere with the EEG. Is that an option over there?

Good luck and make the best out of it. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom