Good to see

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JaneC

New
Reaction score
I witnessed someone having a seizure in the street today. By the time I was able to cross the road there was already a little group of people gathered who seemed to know the right things to do. It was heartened to know there is that awareness out there.

That's wonderful to hear. I've always worried about having a sz in public and no one willing to help. Your post reminds me of the kindness of strangers. Thanks for sharing. :)

That's wonderful to hear. I've always worried about having a sz in public and no one willing to help. Your post reminds me of the kindness of strangers.

I've witnessed another person having a seizure in public once. Others who also witnessed it were also very helpful. I have also had several TC's in public. Only once was 911 not called. The woman knew what to do and guided the crowd that gathered as to what to do. When I was regaining consciousness, I recall hearing someone saying something about calling 911, but this lady knew what she was doing. It turns out, her best friend had E so this woman was trained in what to do when witnessing seizures. This is why we need to keep educating family/friends/neighbors/public about what to do when witnessing a seizure.

For the majority of my public seizures, there have also been friends present to help. It's nice to think that even in the midst of strangers I'd get treated appropriately. You'd be surprised how many people still think that you need to put something in the mouth of someone who's having a tonic-clonic.

The kindness of strangers- it's great to see, great to give, even better to receive :)

I definately think awareness has improved over the years in the uk, and I'll never forget one old gent who took off quite an expensive looking coat to put under my head- even though there was allready loads of blood.

It certainly does warm the heart :)

Back
Top Bottom