Goodbye Keppra and Good Riddance!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elaine H

New
Reaction score
I've not been on CWE for some time now, but since 2015 I've had burns, plastic surgery, and more recently, a fall down the stairs after a seizure resulting in a broken hip, pelvis, and finger.
Because of all these problems, the doctors have recently decided to take me off Keppra and replace it with Briviact (Brivaracetam) a similar med, which is a derivative of Keppra but I'm assured without the awful side effects. I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried this relatively new anticonvulsant yet, and what their results have been? It's early days for me yet, but I am a different person for stopping the awful Keppra!
I used to fire up so easily on Keppra when I was angry, and would snap people's heads off for the slightest reason, I was always crying one minute and laughing the next, and subject to the most horrific bouts of depression. I don't seem to feel extremes of emotion anymore, and although I recently had a disagreement with a health official, I made my point without my heart racing, temperature rising or any feelings of unpleasantness, on Keppra however I would have had a hammering heart, hot sweats and sheer rage!
I understand that we are all completely unique, and that all these meds floating around our bodies have different effects on us all, but for me, always having had a quick temper I'm hoping that this new med could help me to be a much calmer person leading to better control.
I hope everyone is okay, and looking forward to the Summer, and let me know if anyone on CWE is taking or about to take this medication, Briviact?

Last edited:
Elaine,

Glad you're already doing well on Briviact.

My son has just begun Briviact, at this point he's on 20 mg of Briviact. My son also has autism and is very sensitive to medications. I haven't noticed any disturbingly bad side effects yet. The only thing I notice so far is that it's taking him longer to fall asleep. He did have kepprage and insomnia when he was on Keppra.

-Best

Elaine,

I like the new thread. I'm stuck on Keppra (so that's why I sweat so bad). I can control my anger but I know what you mean about it. What's the new medication like compared to Keppra?

I read so many things about keppra glad I not on it.I still ignorent after all these years and I not understand how we all react so differently to more or less same type e legions in same place.i take lamac it don't appear to have side effects why can't you take that

Hopefully the medicine change will help you gain control of both seizures and emotions. Good so far...fingers crossed for you. It is so good to hear from you again on CWE.

I had my low vision ot come round she decided come gp with me.i avoid gps as much as poss shove scripy in and go...jeeeeeeeeeeze thinks i depressed and i not just pissed off wants talk doc about all meds this last thing i want.now i depressed thought seeing gp

Elaine, when I read this I immediately had visions of my gran mall where I ended going down flight of stairs. First my thought was happy you made it thru this but quickly after my mind as I read of your injuries... sooo sorry to hear this. Prayers are with you in recovery.

Elaine,

Please let us know how you're doing with Briviact (Brivaracetam).

I was on Keppra for about 1/2 a year. Gradually, I noticed that my rage was building. At one point, I thought I control it. Two suicide attempts later, I knew I could not. "The third time's the charm," and I didn't want a third time trying this solution.

Keppra was really good at controlling the seizures. The side effects were not tolerable.

Since then, I was on Depakote for 3 days (crazy-a$$ed days without sleep) and now Lamictal (no therapeutic effect whatsoever). Please let us know how Briviact (Brivaracetam) is doing for you.

I had an allergic reaction with Keppra I guess. I couldn't move on it. I couldn't think or talk. I told my sister I can't...I can't live.we had to go and get rid of it.

I was on Keppra for a short while and had as many as six or seven auras a day. When Dr. changed me to Divalproex the stopped almost immediately. The only problem with it is I gained weight right away. Not great but better than the auras.

Keppra ... devil drug.
I lost 12kg in 8 weeks, psychotic and suicidal ideation to the point of thoughts of wanting to harm my beautiful family, especially when knives were in sight and having a rope in hand ready to hang myself in my shed.
Fast tracked off the drug, the most horrific withdrawals of deep bone pain and regular, long seizures with longest being 65 minutes.

I'm on a national list of DO NOT PRESCRIBE due to my severe, adverse reaction ... I'm cool as a cucumber now:)

Thanks, I have tried to slowly cut back on Dyprolex. Still having some depression but the fits of rage have slowed some for which my family is thankful. I guess the only way I will know when I have cut back enough is when they both cease or seizures return.

I too was on Keppra for a while. It made very little difference, and like you my emotion was all over the shot. I have had many epilepsy drugs, this was one I gladly came off of. I've not tried or heard of your new one, may be another name in the UK. I am currently take Fycompa, but having to withdraw, side effects awful. Topiramate (Just starting back on these and Clobazam as needed.

Back
Top Bottom