Got Kidney Stones (while taking Zonegran)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Duke

New
Reaction score
Woke up this mornig with the wost feeling in my left side and would'nt you know it, this is the same day my wife starts back to school. She had to go and we had to figure out how I was going to the Dr. if I had to go , thankfully my mother wasn't busy. When it rains it pours, the pain never let up in my back and side so after a quick CT scan the Dr say's I have 2 kidney stones, one on each side. I belive the Zonegran I've been taking for the past year and half has finally caught up with me. Kidney stones are a side afect, thats what my nuerologist told me.

Duke

Ouch! Those are supposed to be excrutiatingly painful :( (and I'm sure those words will be a big comfort to you :eek:).

How do you get rid of the kidney stones? Are you changing meds?

What was the advice?????

Wish you a speedy recovery !!!!!!!

Riva

Woke up this mornig with the wost feeling in my left side and would'nt you know it, this is the same day my wife starts back to school. She had to go and we had to figure out how I was going to the Dr. if I had to go , thankfully my mother wasn't busy. When it rains it pours, the pain never let up in my back and side so after a quick CT scan the Dr say's I have 2 kidney stones, one on each side. I belive the Zonegran I've been taking for the past year and half has finally caught up with me. Kidney stones are a side afect, thats what my nuerologist told me.

Duke

DUKE:

You are supposed to drink a lot of water when
you are taking Zonegran. The Neurologist should
have advised you of this or at least the Nurse.
It's very important that you drink a lot of water
when you're on Zonegran!

And yes, that's one of the unfortunate common
side effects, but as long as you're drinking at
least 16 ounces of water or more a day, you
should be fine! I drink 2 bottles of Spring Water
a day, and never had any stones.

A lot of people aren't aware they're supposed to
drink water. Stay away from caffeine if all possible
or reduce it.

OUCH! I hope you feel better soon. Tell those kidney stones to go away and see if that works. If not, then try plan B. (I have no idea what plan B is). All I know is if I could, I would definately give you an empathetic hug.

Duke

You're not alone here. I also got kidney stones while taking Zonegran and a few other SZ meds. Mine are not in harms way at the moment. But they still caused me pain. Which I found out later on I also "had" gall stones. All these side effects can be worse than the illness you are taking the meds for.

How do you get rid of the kidney stones?

You take medication to hopefully dissolve them. If that doesn't work, you need to wait for them to pass in your urine.

You're not alone here. I also got kidney stones while taking Zonegran and a few other SZ meds. Mine are not in harms way at the moment. But they still caused me pain. Which I found out later on I also "had" gall stones. All these side effects can be worse than the illness you are taking the meds for.

You take medication to hopefully dissolve them. If that doesn't work, you need to wait for them to pass in your urine.

Man I know the pain you are talking about. I used to get kidney stones when my son was little and passed a few. It's a lot like labor. Then a few year later it was the gall bladder also with stones. Had that baby removed in 91 and I got to keep the stones! They looked like cat turds, I kid you not.

Hope you feel better. :twocents: You might want to add cranberry juice to your list of things to drink. It really helps keep the urinary tract infections down. UTI's love kidney stones. If your urine is gray or bloody, you need to get thee to a hospital.

Well brain, you are exactly right. my nuero did advise everything you said, drink alot of water no caffine. I guess it was all the tea I've been drinkinig, still have to see the family Dr. on Wednesday if still hurting, he said they may be able to break them up with a sound wave procedure and then the broken up stones will pass, Ti'll then taking the Oxycodone as prescribed and drinking alot of water.:lol: And Cranberry juice, that was the first thing my wife had me drinking Birdbomb, so I alternate between the two.

Duke

Last edited:
Duke,

So sorry you are going through this. What is amazing to me is that they can get away with calling this a "side effect!"

I took Zonegran for 6 years. I have always been a water-holic so I did not get stones but did have many other undesireable side effects. I am no longer on it. What did your neuro say about staying on the med?

Blessed

Blessed, sorry to say I didn't get any answers from my nuero. He was more interested in what was happening with the RNS trials that I'm enrolled in at Wake Forest. We never did get back to talking about my kidney stone and the Zonegrane, I did pass the stone 2 nights ago, what a relief.

Duke

Back
Top Bottom