Got my appointment today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
Well, I have my psychiatrist appointment today to see if the episodes i've been having (tingling and numbness sensations) are related to anxiety. I personally don't think it is. I'm not having other symptoms of anxiety and i'm not hyperventilating or anything but I figured that I ought to make an appointment and get a professional opinion which can hopefully rule psychiatric/psychological issues. I've had just about every other test (MRI, complete blood workup, Nerve Conduction Study, CT scan, EEG) but i'm thinking it may be SPS that are just not showing up on my EEG. If it's anxiety then I am fine with that and will deal with it - I just don't think it is.

Sounds like you are going in with the right attitude. I hope you get a competent and caring psychiatrist. Let us know how it goes.

Let us know how things turn out! Im eager to see what all is said! Im in your shoes too when it comes to the tingling and numbness. I dont see my dr til the end of May, but from everything Ive researched, Im thinking I too, have the simple partial seizures that are just too deep within my brain to be picked up on a EEG.

Well the psychiatrist took my full history and when I was sitting there talking to him he asked "do you always breathe like that?" I asked him if he meant the way I was breathing right now and he said yes. I told him that yes that was my normal breathing and he explained that I was breathing from my chest instead of my belly and that high chest breathing can be the cause of numbness and tingling in the face.

When chest breathing causes tingling and numbness it's usually from hyperventilation, which can be caused by emotional distress/anxiety or by over-exercise. To see if that's what's causing your symptoms, do this the next time you feel tingling: Breathe through pursed lips (as if you are blowing out a candle) or cover your mouth and one nostril, breathing through the other nostril. If you don't get better after several minutes, then hyperventilation/chest breathing is probably not the cause.

When chest breathing causes tingling and numbness it's usually from hyperventilation, which can be caused by emotional distress/anxiety or by over-exercise. To see if that's what's causing your symptoms, do this the next time you feel tingling: Breathe through pursed lips (as if you are blowing out a candle) or cover your mouth and one nostril, breathing through the other nostril. If you don't get better after several minutes, then hyperventilation/chest breathing is probably not the cause.

Trinity, try the breathing technique out that Nakamova suggested and see if it helps, but if youre like me, I dont think it has to do with the way youre breathing thats causing your numbness.

I was reading your responces and had the numbness in my foot begin. I tried to breath through my lips (like im blowing out a candle) and it did nothing for the numbness. Its been five minutes now, and the numbness is still there!

Back
Top Bottom