guilt associated with seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
anyone heard of or familiar with guilt associated with seizures?
it's so hard to rationalize causes I have a recurring guilt complex.
it seems there's always more I need to do, a sleep study for one (which really guarantees nothing as it sounds, unless we're lucky), and all of it for something in one fell swoop became one heck of a life changer, although it seems (well technically it IS...) it's all in my head - some figment of my imagination.
and then suddenly one day I go from being a regular individual to being what feels like a mentally deranged and uncooperative nutjob after I've woken up to paramedics in my face.

and so it's like "ok I guess I've done SOMETHING wrong - now I get to spend my life with another heap of things to deal with.

I had a bad weekend- it feels like I have been coming to the surface over the past 24 hours or so but I'm still being cautious.

I'm going to try to cut sugar way down from my diet, including fruits, and work on meats and veggies. coffee without sugar does not taste quite the same...
any coffee sweeteners safer?
I recall being told at some point but I don't quite remember. I think the yellow and pink packets were no-nos? any word on that would help too.

but it's a punishment response thing I guess. my body and mind go through the trauma and want to avoid it and have no one to blame but me.

GUILT! Such a familiar word.
We have really such little say in our epilepsy. We certainly didn't ask for our seizures to occur! I think we try to blame ourselves so we feel like we do have control. We adapt and cope and try to avoid triggers but the brain has it's own way of adapting and things can change for better or worse. I certainly have a newfound respect for my noggin.
I'm sorry you had a bad weekend. Resurfacing is a good way of putting it. You just get through the bad times and then peek out and say hello to the world again, dip your toe in and see how the water is!
Don't blame yourself. I'm trying to think of a way to reward myself after a bad day or days. Maybe switch your focus from punishment to maybe hmmmmm....how can I be extra GOOD to me today because damnit...I'm worth it. I'm no help with the sweeteners though. I do honey in my tea but I don't know how that works in coffee.

guilt

What society was missing out on by not having me fully alert among the other gifted and talented! I mourn what E. deprived me of along with my kids, and the deficits I held as their Mother. Although they both tell me what a great Mom I was despite my compromised brain. I feel guilty regularly at not contributing to the family budget for the last almost three years. That hacks away at my self esteem, and my hubby continues to be amazingly understanding. I have that guilt of being a pain to family. At my age that is not getting any easier.
Stevia is the safest sweetner so far I have read about. I have had it and it is not too shabby for a sweetner.

Back
Top Bottom