Hands shaking

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
My dad (that I eat lunch with everyday) mentioned it to me a few days ago. he noticed that my hands were shaking a little bit. I would have the food in my hand and it would be quivering. I know I'm not have a sez, because I am there with him.

I don't know if it's becasue it's been cold outside or if I'm just glad to be getting out of the house. He owns a business that is right next door to my house so I don't have to go far to see him.

Some days it will be worse than others. I don't know too if I might be nervous about things or what ever.

Does this happen to anyone else too?

I've always gone through phases where my hands are unsteady but I've always associated it with my medications. Especially since it almost stopped when I went down from 3 to 1 AED.

I've had some of this experiences in the past and
it was in my case associated to a side effect
with the Anti-Epileptic Drug I was on, which
unfortunately is now on the allergy list.

However, once in awhile my hands or legs or even
parts of my limbs would shake (or tremble) or
even jerk - while it is very brief, it is annoying!

Since this happens suddenly and without any
warnings - it had caused me to drop things such
as glass, plate, heavy equipment, if I was holding
them in my hands.

One thing I notice about this is I also become
suddenly tired after this short brief event, which
I learned was a seizure, even though it lasted just
but a few seconds - I never felt so exhausted and
drained.

I'm not as bad as you are Sharon. They will last for a while, but they just shake. I've never dropped anything. I've usually got something in my hands at the time.

I've just noticed it recently. It may have to do with the meds. On my next neuro appt, if it's still going on I'm going to ask him about it. If it gets worse I'll give him a call.

My hands shake from essential tremors, it's an active tremor that effects me when I try to use my hands, they don't shake when I'm at rest, I take primidone for it, has the same triggers as epilepsy, stress lack of sleep, poor diet, etc. I often wonder if it has some relation to epilepsy, it responds to AEDs and has most of the same triggers. It's not as bad as epilepsy but it's a bitch, and is annoying in public, people stare, and I've often been accused of being a speed junkie or an alcoholic. It's has some relation to parkinsons and alziemhers, people with essential tremors are twice as likely to develop parkinsons and demntia. It's a neuro degenerative disease, I've seen it progress most of my life, it worries me what I'll be like 10 or 20 years from now. They recently found that dissected brains of ET sufferers have alot of lewey bodys in the brain, just like parkinsons and dementia, it affects 1 out of 10 people over 60. I'm one of the lucky ones to develop it early in life and have asthma so I can't take beta blockers, one of the main meds for it, so I'm stuck taking things like primidone or topamax or klonopin. Klonopin was the best drug I've taken for it, but it loses it's effect in long term use. When the
meds are no longer effective some people do well with Deep Brain Stimulation, but ofcourse the risks of brain surgery scare alot of people away, like loss of speech abilities and memory, and alot of people can't type after DBS, probably from years of adjusting there finger movement to counter the shaking. One of my pet peeves of the disorder is Im losing the ability to play video games as my thumbs have a mind of there own, I also have the hardest time with fine motor skills at work like sodering electronics, which I wish I could get some kind of partial disability for.

Some people get the tremor in there neck and it cause there head to shake in a no no or yes yes patern, all the time, that would drive anyone crazy.

I have a friend who does that. Its because of veins twisted in her neck. Her speech is messed up, when she is going into a seizure. She has had brain surgery, but they really don't want to touch that.I know she was on topamax. It drives her crazy . She will go in someplace to get a cup of coffee and people will ask her if they need to call 911. I think that happenned after her surgery.

Valerie,

Yeah, I get this too, though I don't think exactly the same as you. I get it just before, just after, or during some of my seizures - and just on my right side.

-B

I have shaky hands as well. Not bad, but noticeable. I think it is worse when I am tired. Personally, I think it is from my meds.

I also have a twitching in my fingers. If I extend them out, they will have quick little sideways movements. Almost funny to watch and again not an issue for me.

Make a note of it and discuss with your doctor.

It's called ....

Some people get the tremor in there neck and it cause there head to shake in a no no or yes yes patern, all the time, that would drive anyone crazy.

That is called "Tourette's" or "Tourette's Syndrome" - a different
kind of neurological medical disorder. Just thought you would like
to know the specific name of it.

My neighborhood childhood friend had it and still has it, while we
do not have close rapport, even though she resided around the
block ... her Tourette's was pretty bad as it was common all the
time - some people it's isolated and others it's a frequent event.

Hope this info helped!

Na actually uncontrollable head shaking can be essential tremors too, not just tourettes.

I've gotten the no no patern a few times when I was very very angry, extreme emotions make me shake badly.

Very interesting and here's some articles on BOTH:

Ok I knew it was Benign Essential Tremor but I
wasn't aware that it had changed:

Essential Tremor

Then here's the other one:

Tourette's Syndrome

as you can see both are neurological medical conditions
and are very similar in patterns and yet are common fold.
Ironically, Wikipedia mentions that Tourette's in adulthood
is rare and that is untrue - because I know quite a few
individuals who have had Tourette's all in their lives and
still have it and it hasn't changed.

The comment I responded was to the fact of you making
mention of head shaking (or swaying) "no-no" or "yes-yes"
which is also known as a tic. (old terminology).

Wiki does have an illustration of where it originates from;
ironically - neither one of them have Epilepsy.

I do know some folks (including my family relatives) who had
BET (Benign Essential Tremor as it was called) and they didn't
have Epilepsy, but it was noticeable always when they were
under a lot of stress or nervousness or in unfamiliar surroundings
it would be manifested. Or even if they were startled or scared,
it would trigger it. My mom has it, and it is neurological but not
known as Essential Tremors - but BET - Benign Essential Tremors.
As Wiki mentions both. It is higher in women than it is with men;
and that I have a problem with - for in my family - it was equal
and it was usually when they were over the age of 70 years
or older when it began to manifest (only a few men who were
in their 60s manifested this).

I am the only odd-ball out (but of course I am adopted so I
am not "by blood-related")....

Read both articles and you'll see it more profoundly.

Re hands shaking

HI music man here:
When on Kepra ( which was ineffective ) no shakes or memory loss. Now i experience both on Epival . Some days i just can't believe it, the fork or spoon shaking so badly. It affects my writing as well . I'm of the opinion it is the Epival which i am now on . My GP agrees, the Nueroligist says no. It also effects my playing as a musician which tees me off to no end.
With you in spirit.
Ed.

They know what it is, I just don't.Her veins are twisted since birth in her neck and they meanin the neurosurgeon will not touch it.

Another great site for information on movement disorders is Wemove.org it has alot of great info and has a great supportive community, much like this one.

I had been taking Zoloft, Depakote ER, Tegretol XR plus other assorted meds such as folic acid and over the counter vitamins. My hand tremors continued to get worse and I definitely think it is because of the Depakote.

I recently started taking Primidone. Anyway, something interesting has happened. After my body got used to the Primidone, my hands literally felt calm. And another side effect is that I am very happy. My moods have gotten better. I did not feel this with the Zoloft!

I would be curious to know if there are other people in the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom